Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First try at painterly textures

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jackalope polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, I have been putting this off for far too long.
Need the practice, so here goes nothing. Designed a polearm, wanted a hand-painted, painterly style for the texture. Any feedback would be awesome.

Diffuse only:

eYU3k.png

V9017.png

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty damn fine for your first try

2 things I'd change:

- The damage. You could use some more nicks and dings on the blade itself, as well as a colour change where it connects to the wood (rusty orange or maybe a greenish blue). I think that could really make this pop :)

- AO. Add some cool dark tones where things connect (like the wood)

You did a good job of the wood; that's usually something people screw up.

As for the model itself, the silloette is kind of plain. I realize not everything should be epic looking, but for a stand alone piece (if this is going on your website) you should try and make it more interesting to look at. Keep it up!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    bring out those highlights! let it pop!
  • Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice one man, not an expert on painted textures but I've managed to pick some stuff up by studying other people's work. I think you need to crank the values a bit more, make 'em pop, it's my personal preference when making stuff like these. Try too zoom out from your object in the 3D view and see what elements disappears/dissolves into each other. Then you'll probably see what to pop :D

Right off the bat I'd suggest highlighting the rims on each of the darkened lines on the wood material, to greatly

Here's a quick paintover (at work atm haha) that I whipped together, hope it helps man. :)

Looking real good for a first attempt, and looking real good overall :D

paintoverj.jpg
  • Lando_Viggo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Viggo polycounter lvl 8
    My bro forgot some stuff I'd like to higlight (mind the pun).

Have some contrast in the piece by shadowing/highlighting along rims and "corners" of the structure. Like this, kinda:
    paintoverg.jpg

Hope it helps man.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the pointers guys, helps a lot. ill be posting an update later.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update, still have work to do:

GS5HO.png

as for the silloette being kind of plain, any suggestions on how to change that would be welcome. I was just thinking it would be a standard weapon, instead of a heroic one, but I am open to change.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Its definitely a good first try at it! Wood is definitely one of the hardest materials to master in hand painted textures, it is up there with sand and tileable gravel/pebbles (any ground texture is a challenge due to the player always looking at them, so the level of quality has to be higher). As said above, the challenge is making the textures pop. Its like slapping a piece of art on another piece of art but trying to make them both compliment each other. With hand painted textures though, its all about letting the texture work do all of the story telling and then the model itself just be the "frame" or canvas, instead of say, a high poly character where a lot of the detail is defined with geometry. Good start to it though, hand painted textures are definitely an artwork within them self, it takes a lot of time and patience and a TON of trial and error.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Hand painted textures are just like painting just that you don't need to do or worry about perspective and siluett (for the texture then). Looking on photos and look how material behave and look like help me. One thing that would help this allot would be AO, But really good start.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on it a bit more

s9UMd.png

aMxFf.png