Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please See My Art Folio! 3D Character Modeler!

Hi all, I ve been working hard for months on my 3D Art Folio. It would really mean a lot to me if you all could see my Art Folio and give me your thoughts, impressions, criticisms, etc.

Artfolio is found at: http://www.davenbettridge.com/

Its my dream to work in the video game industry as a character modeler. I'm Australian and unfortunately jobs here in the video game industry are limited. What sort of skill and experience would I need to get a job in the USA?

What is or isn't working on my art folio at the moment? What content is missing or what should I do more of? Do you think I'm ready to start applying for jobs in the video game industry internationally?

If anyone could be so kind as to provide me feedback and be willing to answer questions as to getting my dream job it will be warmly appreciated :)

- Daven Bettridge

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're certainly good enough right now to get a job at a mobile game company. But it wouldn't make it at a AAA company like arenanet, cdProjekt etc. yet. Overall you seem to have a good grasp of the tech. it's really just developing your eye. Compare your finished art to AAA models currently in games, try to identify the differences and why yours is different, or less good. Visual art is seeing.

Never be happy, or finished with your art, you'll stay hungry.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Try doing a realistic character, there's more jobs for those. Stylized is great but that alone limits your opportunities.

Your folio layout is fine, everything on one page :)
    Not too keen on the 2d but it may be nice to know for some.

Apply EVERYWHERE, don't limit yourself. Relocation is part of the game art territory.

gud luck with it.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I would say to develop more lower polygon characters. Aim to 1000-1500 maybe,
    There are a lot of mobile companies around. As achillesian said, for AAA games you still need to push your stuff. (anatomy is the main thing that I notice)
    About your portfolio: Normally when I check someone website I click to open several images at once. I find it really annoying open one image and click to close, then open another one...Just a apersonal opinion. (I hope it makes sense) ;)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    You have some good stuff, but how you see anatomy is bothering me a bit. Your more recent characters have a pointy chins and arms are too short. My suggestion is to do more head studies, and polycount is really helpful when it comes to critiquing work. Good luck man!