Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Male anatomy study

*CURRENT PROGRESS*
Mann_Anthony_Crit09.jpg
Hand.jpg

I have 2 separate male anatomy studies going in this thread.

Red = school

Green = personal

*ORIGINAL POST*
This is where I'm at so far:

01_Final-1.jpg

I'm only about 3hrs in and I know I've got a lot more to do, but I wanted to get some feedback from anatomy guru's on polycount before getting too carried away.

I haven't focused on the back at all really. I'm trying to hit all the large, and a bit of the medium, details before moving on.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I'm using Mara3D as my main reference.

Thanks,
Tony.

Replies

• whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of a bump and update:
    02_Final.jpg

Still haven't made it down to his feet or out to his hands. Those and his head will most likely be separate studies in themselves.

Looking for anatomy crits.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • Saig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may not be the best source of advice, since I am also looking for critique on my first human character in my own thread, but I noticed one thing about this sculpt right away:

To me, his upper body and anterior look over-developed in comparison to his legs and back. Or rather, his leg and back muscles are very under-developed when compared to his arms and abs. I think you should try to get a better balance between the amount of definition that each muscle group has in relation to the others.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saig,

Thanks for the advice. I really wanted to make this guy less ripped anyway. I've only had about an hour or so more to work on him, but here is the direction that I'm going.

03_Final.jpg

Hopefully someone who knows anatomy will spot this soon. Everything is starting to look 'right' to me, but I just don't know what I don't know.. you know?

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    pecs go under deltoid.
    ankles are too wide...look at them from the back, they're huge. inner calf needs to go up. outer calf needs to flow down to ankle in one curve, yours stops about half way down the tibia.
    neck is too skinny or head is too wide...a bit of both I think.
    back still needs a ton of work. triceps are flat looking from the back. elbow is too pronounced.

http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/body-browser/
    that is your new best friend

great start though, keep going.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Bring the arms more into a natural pose. The muscles are in a completely different contracted state when in T pose and its much harder to sculpt in, not to mention out of date.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel - thanks for all the crits! I will be bouncing back and forth between this guy and my homework on this thread. I've already applied your crits to my new sculpt. Thanks!

frell - I appreciate that! Although the teach has his study in T-Pose, I went ahead and drop his arms. We'll see if he gets upset about that.. sometimes teachers can be touchy.

In an attempt to keep polycount clean I'll just post more anatomy studies here. I started a new class and we will be working on the following:

Week 1: Anatomy
    Week 2: Bust
    Week 3: Clothing and Topology
    Week 4: Textures

Here is my week 1 reference:
    Anatomy_Project_Front.jpg
    Anatomy_Project_Side.jpg

And here is my sculpt:
    Mann_Anthony_Crit02_Front.jpg
    Mann_Anthony_Crit02_Side.jpg
    Mann_Anthony_Crit02_Back.jpg

Any crits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where I'm at today. I haven't moved on to the hands yet, but I will most likely do that tonight.

Mann_Anthony_Crit05.jpg

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pulled it back to far, so I went back in and corrected it. Hopefully this looks better.

Mann_Anthony_Crit07.jpg

*EDIT* still haven't started on the hands.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where I have to leave it. I got sick which put me behind a few days, but I need to move on to my bust this week.

Mann_Anthony_Crit09.jpg
    Hand.jpg