Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to the Polycount Scene!

Hello Everyone!

I'm a game design student close to graduating and I'm working on a project that I would really appreciate some good critique, advice and tips for. I'd say that I'm at about intermediate skill level and some concepts like baking and utilizing a professional workflow are kind of foreign to me..

That being said I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Anddd.... It seems I can't attach anything some let me figure this thing out ...

Replies

• Seth_Bales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok sorry guys I'll send a link to my blog in a sec.
  • Seth_Bales
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Hey this is actually nice stuff you've got here. My main critique would be your very visible seams. Also some of your textures look like they might not be high enough resolution and are looking a bit pixelated, like the rock texture on the pillars and ground on the first screenshot.

Another issue you might want to take into consideration is how you transition one type of material into another. Usually really abrupt and harsh transitions between two materials are really noticeable to the eye. Especially with overgrown scenes, usually the grass and dirt mixes in with the stone cracks and things like ivy/moss grow up the pillars and walls. You do have a little bit of that going on but you might want to look into vertex painting or something like that to soften the transitions a bit.

The fern plant texture is looking really contrasty and out of place. It looks like there's a very dark, nearly black shadow in the texture. I'd suggest painting those black shadow parts out.

This is an awesome start though and I really dig the tree leaf texture you've got going in there!

Edit: Forgot to mention, you'll need to sign up with an image hosting website such as imageshack to upload your screenshots to. Then copy the link, click the image icon on the post box, and paste the image URL into it. The image should then show up in the post.

Oh yeah, and welcome! :)
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Hello and welcome to Polycount :)
    The scene itself looks pretty promising but as sybrix already stated you got some serious issues in it. Fortunately the most of it are minor tweaks and not really hard to do.

The most time consuming thing you have to fix are your texture seems, dig a bit deeper into UVing and try to hide your seems on spots where people aren't able to see them like the bottom of a wall or the top. But that pretty much depends on the model and its purpose so there isn't really a golden rule but im sure you get used to it pretty fast :) You can use your existing wall and floor pieces as lowpoly meshes and build a high poly from it, this way you have full control over your seems and details and the outcome would be way better.

The next easy to fix thing is your mesh smoothing, Polycount has a great article about it. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

Another easy to fix problem would be the scale of your textures, try to scale the them down and add a detail map to them. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialBasics.html
    Also try to bump up your normal maps your floor and wall textures have some really intense cracks in it and a proper normal map or even a parallax can add a brilliant amount of detail. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsParallaxOccludedMapping.html

Another and for me last point that i want to state out is the mesh placement itself. On Screen1 and Screen3 the pillars look duplicated what they are no doubt ;D but you should turn them randomly so that its not that obvious.

Ohh ok one more last thing, adjust your lightmaps when it comes to a final build. At this time your lightmaps are horrible.

No matter that it looks like a massive critic most "errors" you have are just minor things. Keep it up and im sure we will see a pretty awesome scene in the near future :)
  • Seth_Bales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the great advice guys! I agree 100% on all the points made and I'll check out those links and get it fixed. I really appreciate it and I'll keep you posted with my progress. :D