Home General Discussion

Steam Greenlight - Coming soon

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

It's a tool for developers to get community support to get their game on steam. It isn't very interesting from a artist perspective, but it looks like a new place for indy games to try to get support.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm guessing after the Revelations 2012 fiasco, they've decided to give the community a more hands on approach on what should get voted on?
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ooooh. very interesting!. Will defo be looking into this.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm wondering what the idea behind allowing 'concepts' to be shown and what 'Getting on Steam', means.

Can I show a concept of a game, get on Steam, and ask for early adopters via payment? Like Minecraft's approach only through Steam?
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think you will get to ask for payments(though you could also link to a kickstarter if you wanted) I think it will just assure you get distributed on steam, leaving the getting money to actually make the game up to the devs.
  • skankerzero
    I'll be looking into this as soon as it's up and running.
    You can bet I'll try and get my game on there.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    As far as I understand its basically a way to improve the process of getting your game on steam. Not every game that applies to be on steam gets on there.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This looks to be an attempt to crowd-source the Steam approval process, by opening it up to be voted on by the Steam community.

It's got the crowd-sourcing aspect, plus a kind of devlog side, too, where you can update your game's page as it's being made - An effective way to garner interest.
  • Ben Apuna
    I think this is going to be a really great thing, especially for indie developers. It's definitely a great way to crowd source the submission process which is known to be bottlenecked and swamped with sub-par games. This way the best games should float to the top and get noticed.

Even if your game ultimately doesn't make it onto Steam, I think it has the potential to be a good place to get feedback from gamers and generate some buzz about your game. It'll all come down to how the submissions are sorted though. I imagine everyone will be submitting their games to try and get on Steam.