Home General Discussion

You have 15 seconds to comply

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    The only good reboot/remake I've seen in the last 10 years was Dredd, this here is just, fucking awful, just, goddamn.

Good mention considering karl urban dared go the whole movie with his face not shown, while in robocop they REALLY feel the need to show his face, tactical hollywood face engage!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    sweeeeeeeeeeet
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It has a TV movie feel to it. Like "Honey I've been turned into a robot and have to wrestle control back from the machine and then fight lots of other robots".
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Only good thing about this is that Michael Keaton is in it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be down for a Robocop sitcom.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    trailer looks awful.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    This dude's face looks so goofy in that costume I honestly can't take the film seriously on any level. And that voice? WOOOOOOOOOOOW .pass.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Calabi wrote: »
    It has a TV movie feel to it. Like "Honey I've been turned into a robot and have to wrestle control back from the machine and then fight lots of other robots".

I think this is my problem with it. Something about it makes it feel like a made for TV movie.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look good. As in genuinely bad and on its own merit, not comparing to the original kind of bad. Agree with the TV movie vibe. Also, his face.. looks.. goofy. The casting leaves more to be desired here.

I also think Robocop himself seems too 'slick' here. Even if you were going less tank and more sportcar, which clearly they have, he seems to lack the mechanical weight behind his movements. It all feels odd and quite cheap-ish.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, I loved Robocop 1. I don't expect to like this remake nearly as much. The original movies were ultra-violent, and super cheesy at the same time.

The remake is most likely not going to have tonnes of tits and gore, or be super dark and gritty, and I'm okay with that.

Honestly, the thing about remakes is that you're pretty much always doomed to fail to meet expectations of people familiar with the original, but you're very likely to get their money. By making the movie accessible to pretty much everyone, you open up your potential market quite a bit. More people means more money, and I've never meet a publisher that would say no to more money.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I can't help see the possible similarities between this and the recent bomb remake of Total Recall.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    If someone had told me this was a made for tv movie, possibly on syfy, or maybe a 2 hour pilot for a tv show, I'd believe them. I was excited about this, and usually I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to remakes, sequels, etc; but this does not look all that good.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    what are you people smoking? that looks so good!!!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I had positive feelings about this remake, but wow, this trailer really looks bad. I still remain cautiously optimistic, maybe the trailer is just put together poorly, but wow, some of that dialogue was just unbearable.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im curious as to what people are expecting from this movie. The originals were terrible as well... lol
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    Im curious as to what people are expecting from this movie. The originals were terrible as well... lol

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. The first set of movies were super cheesy. I'm not exactly sure what people expect. I get the feeling they want the original story, same characters, ultra-violence with the cheese removed.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    X-One wrote: »
    I get the feeling they want the original story, same characters, ultra-violence with the cheese removed.

That would actually be nice. what would be wrong with wanting that? bring the story up to date a bit to make it relevant, cut the 80's cheese off and keep the grit. THAT would be a movie worth watching.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    am I the only one who is REALLY bothered that he has 1 human hand, it throws everything off I hate it.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    am I the only one who is REALLY bothered that he has 1 human hand, it throws everything off I hate it.

Came across this pic, seems approrpiate

Robocop.+WTF+did+they+do+to+robocop_868e18_4568963.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    If I want depth and realism the last place I'm going to look for it is in Robocop. This looks like a fun movie, I never go to the theater, but I will definitely watch this as soon as it's available in stores.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    if i remember right in the first movie isnt there a scene where they say they were able to save the arm, and then the head guy goes i thought we agreed on total body loose the arm
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like he is wearing plastic on the new one lol... Robocop had weight and looked pretty beefy. This other one just looks lame.. and whats with the human hand?
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    We shouldn't really judge it from the trailer though. I thought Elysium was going to be good based on the trailer and that didn't pan out as I expected it too.

As a point of reference. If you'd never seen the movie would this trailer really sell you on it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHcB1n0qCM"]Original 1987 Trailer for Robocop - YouTube[/ame]

The reboot may end up to be complete bollocks but I won't judge it based on the trailer alone. Also, as much as I like the silver Robocop design more of it is due to nostalgia than what might actually work for the film. Given it's a reboot and that you shouldn't reallyhave to pander to and appease the old fans I would have gone with black and red.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Hah. They used Brad Fiedel's Terminator soundtrack for that original Robocop trailer.

And yeah, the original's trailer still does it for me. As everyone else has said, the reboot looks like a made-for-tv film, where they've homogenised so much of it for a wider audience that they've lost what was great about it in the first place.

It looks like they've completely missed the point with the reboot. But then again, it can't be worse than Robocop 3.
  • Grindigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindigo polycounter lvl 6
    After seeing the trailer it left the most generic impression on me, it's terrible on so many different levels it would take me ages to write them down.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Lolz at youtube comment "Damn you Micheal keaton! He's not batman - he's robocop. Take your tactical color black and ram it up your ass!"

"Tactical black".... sigh, robocop was meant to be a "cop on the beat". A community helper. Not a fecking ninja bot designed for the military....

Also, this robocop has far too much emotion in his voice...

anyhoo, this is still looking pants.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8"]ROBOCOP - Official Trailer (2014) [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

This is the new ED209 design. Looks a bit better than the original design it has to be said.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    If you haven't already noticed, movie makers are making every character black or dark, just take xmen, and even the new superman is not strong colors but darker blue/red.
    When Robocop is shown in shiny metal, that's how he should be, that makes him unique. When they turn him black, he is just generic and dull.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I feel like shiny metal was just the design aesthetic of the 80's just as shiny black is the current aesthetic.

I remember the media blitz for the first Robocop, they showed him with his helmet off and it really disturbed me as a youngster.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    the old look/color is very retro, i didn't like it when i was a child, black is the future for me (that color is the perfect match), and i like this one.

I just hope to watch a remake as good as Dredd. Fire ball? huh yes...
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Shiny Black isn't 'Tactical' Matte Black is....and that red slit eye slot makes him look like a man version of Kitt.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    katana wrote: »
    man version of Kitt.

LOL.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    With the sleek new look I just think he's an early Cylon.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, the guy in the trailer who says "make him more tactical, make him black" sounds like an actual real life studio douchebag executive. It's like their parodying themselves or something.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I have a feeling this movie is gonna be mediocre but I'm gonna watch it anyway. Interested to see what kind of concepts they have in there. I hope Michael bay has some part of this movie so that we can see a few more explosions.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the fact that he begins from the offset with all his human faculties bothers me. the whole 'what have you done to me' thing didn't happen at all like that in robocop, his mind was suppressed but he slowly regained his humanity. that was a much more interesting idea imo
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    These are kind of interesting from a film making point of view - a "b-roll" of short shots of production.
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qtFbXag9c[/ame]
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8k9uobovA[/ame]
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDSM6-2qF4[/ame]
    It seems unlikely that these were officially released, so they'll probably disappear pretty quickly.