Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[udk] destroyed office

Hey guys, I've been working on this scene for a while. I think I'm done with this project. I would love all the feed back, so I can improve in my next project. Thank you all :)

03.jpg

01.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

11.jpg

for more www.thanet-art.com

Replies

• Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    wow that is just super awesome!

there is one crit i could offer, and that is that really isnt much evidence of what caused it? I mean if it was some sort of projectile, there would probably be bits and pieces of it lying around, or if it was an explosion there would be fires and smoke and stuff like that..
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    very nice, i would say that all your concrete bits look a little bit too rounded - almost more like pebbles on a beach than broken up concrete. it might be nice to have some cracked bits where the two broken edges conform to each other so you can see they clearly used to be one.
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with tharle. You might benefit from hardening some of the edges on the flat concrete pieces
  • Zamite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with the 2 previous posts. Specially the ones that are still hanging from the 2 top floors. On the bottom they could have become rounder "due to erosion" if the "event" took place a long time ago.

But on areas more protected from erosion (like the hanging pieces- otherwise they wouldn't still be hanging bla bla bla) it would be nice to see some sharp matching edges where the surface broke.
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys.
    @Olli I wish I could put crash helicopter in there.

I just learned how to make a good concrete debris, block. I will put that in my next project.
  • kwshipman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    i like the overall feel of the scene, but a couple things stand out.

Like others have said, the rubble is too rounded and soft. some distinction between the broken edges and the top surface of the debris would help too.

There is some in the second picture, but because it is so similar in tone it gets lost in the distant shots. you could have the tile on the top of the large pieces, with the broken cement on the edges, but give it a really rough texture.

I would also add in some more burnt spots, smoke damage, etc. It looks like there is a little, but it is pretty faint. Right now it looks like a bowling ball hit it. if you wanted to go really crazy, you could consider that if there was fire the automatic sprinklers would have activated making some things wet.

in the first image, there is a column on the far left that doesn't make much sense. the model is done well, but i dont get how it was damaged in the way it is. It is evenly broken on all sides, but the impact to the building is in one specific spot. Seems like any damage would be rather directional, just chipping the side and edge closest to the impact.

I'm sure you don't want more skybox work, but if feels as though the fog is too thick. You could be telling more of the story with the background, but that is a little nit-picky for a modeling portfolio piece.

If any of that doesn't make sense, i can do a paint over if you'd like.