Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] (WoW inspired) Scarlet Monastery Environment - WIP

Any crits and ideas are appreciated!
All textures are tiled, still adjusting the textures, going to change the bricks, to make them more interesting.

wip13c.jpg

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    picture does not load

Edit: Now it works! =)

Not much to say, but it looks good and way to clean. But suits WoW style if you ask me! =)
  • Sensorium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures need some real love man ... for the building you seem to use only 3 textures ... reuse of textures is always good but only when nobody notices it.
    Im sry to say that but your textures dont match the style of wow at the moment... go capture some nice textures ingame or look for some reference for that... they have a beautiful texture style ...have fun analysing it :)
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I don't want to capture the style of wow at all sorry i didn't made myself clear, it is just wow inspired.Yes i will create more variation of textures and more objects to populate the scene, btw what objects do you suggest i could add, to match the scene, not necessarily from WoW but something that would look cool?

I intend to use vertex color to blend a little damage in some places, but not to much tho because i don't want to make it too old/ruined.

Thanks for your reply!

PS: Considering my time spent in WoW I strive to NOT make my textures look like those, glad to see they're not :D

Edit: i'm also interested in the overall feel of the scene, does it give the feel of Scarlet Monastery yet? (for those who played)
  • Sensorium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex blending is allways a good thing to get variation into the textures... but you should put more work into the textures they look very generic... it would be nice to have an character walking down the hallway having some kind of big dog with him ...like one of the bosses in the actual game... bookshelves and tables with small props ...apples,open books, pens would be nice too...some kind of plant (roses maybe) could grow along the outer wall and sneak into the window just a lil... add those details and improve the textures and youll get something nice :)
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    changed the wall texture, i hope it has more variation now
    Gonna tweak the colors tomorrow to give some contrast between the modular pieces
    wip14.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    As someone who has not played World of Warcraft, what is the purpose of this scene?
    What are the focal points? Does it tell a story?
    At the moment, you appear to have created an empty corridor and as far as I know it could be anywhere.

A good technique is to think how you would describe your scene to someone to get them really excited about it - such as, "this is where kings decorate the hall with the skulls of dragons that they have slain - but now the dragons want them back!", or ,"this is the sacred hallway that bridges the gap between light and dark dimensions of the realm".

Something to give your scene a focus or sense of purpose that the background details can be aimed towards.
    I hope that helps and doesn't come across as just being rude :)

Edit: After a quick image search I found this:-

Scarlet_Monastery_Halls.jpg

Is this the original concept that you were working from?
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    yes that is the concept that got me inspired, but i don't want to copy it, instead of the throne i intend to create a statue holding a sword (the Ashbringer, for those who played) something like the statue holding the broken blade in Lord of the rings. And another thing with the corridor: this whole cathedral inside the game is made out of a lot of corridors, so its something representative, but i do intend to add a focal point of course.
    Thanks for your response!
    Here's an update:
    wip15.jpg
    I'm also thinking of changing the lighting, maybe if i change it to a night scene, I could add some interresting contrast between a blue-ish light from outside combined with a red-ish light from the candles, like here:
    smpreview15.jpg
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    And another update:
    wip16.jpg