Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Environment Artist Graduate Portfolios?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I've recently graduated from university and wanted to do a completely fresh portfolio as alot of the work I did on the course isn't up to par. Tried looking around the internet for people who have also graduated to have a look at their portfolios but all I find are people who have already got jobs so it's hard to see what the competition is and what I should be including in mine.

Would an environment artist portfolio consist of just personal work (until they are employed?), I know it's good to have a variety of styles in my models. So I was thinking of doing something like this:

3 different styles, breaking them down into separate sheets.

Style 1:

- Low poly scene
- High poly scene
- Concept used

- Select props
- High
- low
- texture etc

^ something like that?

I was also wondering what you guys think about using other people's concept art to make a scene? I'm not the best concept artist and find it much easier to work in 3D than 2D. Do you think it's ok to use a piece of concept art and give credit for it?

For example I've seen on one person's portfolio they used a piece of concept art from a game to model a scene and labelled it a fan piece.

I'm just not sure where to start with my portfolio, as I'd like to have a nice mixture of pieces to show off.

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Id advise you to find a company that you want to work for and see if they have an art test or maybe just create something related to what they are working on...to be honest most of the time, getting a job is knowing someone or being at the right place at the right time.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    If you want to use someone else's concept art, MAKE SURE you ask his / her permission before using any artwork. Otherwise, you can get in trouble.

For your portfolio, snake85027 has a good point. Aim a company you like, and try to make something they can use on their games. Ex : if you aim Crytek, try to make a realistic environment & props. For Blizzard, they make hand painted stuffs, so do some.

Variety in portfolio is good : it adds variety and you have more open doors for opportunities. And don't forget, quality over quantity. Don't need to put 50 characters or guns on your portfolio, just put 5-6 of your BEST works. Blow them away and make them "I want to hire this guy because he can do something for my games."

Hope it help!

Good luck! :)