Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alexes Lee Portfolio

Evening everyone. I have managed to pull up a showreel together hoping to get a environment internship or junior position in the games industry. I would love some feedback to help improve my showreel. :)

I am currently in the process of modelling my next environment which will be posted up online soon.

Presently none of my work displyed in my showreel has been rendered in realtime. All of them have been rendered straight out of max. Is it essential to have some work rendered in realtime when making a reel for the games industry?

My reel.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUiFjZSjYRA"]3D Showreel - YouTube[/ame]

Images of my work.

rvegb6.jpg

2q9j1pg.jpg

35lhlr6.jpg

15373as.jpg

n2bdr4.jpg

Replies

• Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although its down to personal choice, I wouldn't recommend a showreel. As your trying to break into the games industry I would say you are probably better off grabbing some nice real time shots, either in a game engine/marmoset or with a real time shader in max, that show off your work as it is intended to be used and presenting them all on a portfolio website. Potential employers can then easily see your work / texture sheets etc and save the images. This also cuts down on big video file sizes and viewers having to scrub through a video to find a particular model/contact details.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    you have 2 renders of your character with wireframe, but none with just the rendered model, also the renders are so dark you can't see what's going on, and why is he only lit from the head down?
  • alexes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wombatinahat thanks for the advice, i guess it would be better :)

mr_ace The rendered model can be found in my reel and the lighting was done in max, which isn't my expertise. But I'll work on it thanks :)

Any suggestions for improvments on my reel or models?
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hi alexes.

So I really like the car stuff! In my opinion the texture for the honda is really nice! ;)
    Only thing which bothers my eye is the white spot on the back window.. what is this? ^^

I agree with mr_ace, put some pictures in without wireframes.
    I also agree on not using a demo reel. Well maybe it's just a personal thing, but i like to watch at pictures the most. You can definitely spend more time to look at details...

Now I have sth to crit on your street scene:
    1) the lighting seems dull and a bit boring. You should definitely play around with the lighting on this scene and you will see how much you can improve it ;)
    2) the normal map of the street looks too big in comparison. I'd do it more noisy but with smaller dots.

But you should definitely change/improve the lighting.

Keep up the good work! ;)