Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Crate

This was an assignment for my Video Game art class. First time setting up UVs, doing normal maps and specularity maps, and making a texture.

tumblr_m6rn882CVq1rnjrqvo1_1280.jpg
750 tris

Ignore the cobblestone. It was the map in UDK our teacher had us throw it on.

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    The cobblestone is really hard to ignore, it makes your crate look really really tiny.

Your scratches are just, uh, everywhere. That's not really how materials scratch. I'm not talking about the edge cracks, i'm talking about the places where it looks like it was keyed by someone.

What are your geometry restrictions here?

You could really use some bevels on the corners that are more than 90 degrees (especially if the assignment is just this prop, as opposed to a full environment) Also it appears your metal needs a bit more of the UV space dedicated to it. It's not very sharp. Can you post your UV layout?
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crate size was okayed by my teacher. The scale versus the view from the player camera gave it a pretty decent size, the cobblestones are just pretty large.

Yes, I need to redo the scratches. I originally did them at my dad's house who didn't have 3d max for me to compare to. I will attempt to fix them soon and update.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by geometry restrictions? Like how many polys I was allowed? Our teacher limited us to 1000

crate_uvs_by_mokia_sinhall-d56g5z6.png
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like there are a few places where you could overlap your uv's. Doing this will give the texture a much sharper look.
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlap the UVs? Does that work? Our teacher wanted us to keep the UVs with at least 2 pixels between them at minimum.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much when you have two or more sides that will look the same it is safe to have those right on top of each other. Ill edit this post soon with a example.
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh like with items that are symmetred? I have all those in stacks. The top and bottom are separate because the top has the cylinder bit and the bottom doesn't. Not sure what else could have potentially been overlapped. Maybe the top and bottom parts of the clamps?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I circled everything that looks like it could be overlapped. The top and bottom could also because you have to think about how the player will see the prop. If it does not move and ill never be flipped the player wont see it. So it wont matter if the bottom has the cylinder on it because the player would never know.

VyGjK.png
  • Mokia_Sinhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Thanks for the visual. I'll keep that in mind while I'm working on my current school project!