Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sword

jib1337
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jib1337 polycounter lvl 9
Sculpted it last weekend, did the texturing tonight. It's the first non-character object I've attempted and finished. -_-

pirate_sword.jpg

The reference I started with:

ref.jpg

You'll notice I pretty much copied the handle but changed the blade entirely, not sure why... just wanted to try something different. Not sure if it's really a "pirate" style sword with that blade anymore anyway.

In any case I'm going to experiment with different materials etc to try and improve the presentation shot.

Replies

• jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The thing that stands out most for me is the blade. It could really use more work. It looks like it's on upside down - the main cutting edge looks like it's on the top. It seems too thick for a blade. The scratches in it do not look convincing. They look more like indentations in wooden furniture than scrapes along a blade's edge. Watch BoBo's weapon sculpting tutorial from the Darksiders contest.

Some parts of the handle have better form in the original. Yours doesn't look like it has enough room for a hand to comfortably hold. The tiny snake wrapped around the blade has interesting bends in the original. The little snake heads on the guard look like spikes, but on yours they're more like little buttons. The part where the back of the big snake's tail wraps around is more abstract and has interesting shapes on the original.
  • jib1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jib1337 polycounter lvl 9
    After some thinking I decided you were definitely right about the blade.. it was a good experiment but it didn't give the right result. I couldn't leave it like that so I redid the blade (details a lot more subtle here) and fixed up a few things with the handle.

sword_update.jpg