Home Technical Talk

Measuring objects dimensions collectively

I couldn't really come up with a clear title for this topic, and its probably not a feature because its a pretty weird idea, but I think it would be pretty useful in some cases. Basically what I mean by the title, is: Is it possible to select a number of objects (all segments of a modular building/road/wall etc), then find out the length/width/height of all of them combined.

If you had a road made of 10 segments each with a length of 100, that would be really easy to work out, but if your segments were fractional, like 178.339, then things would get way too mathematical for my brain. You can use a calculator, sure, but all the objects might not be the same size, in which case it wont be a simple case of multiplying a single number.

The way I can see a feature like this working, is by creating some kind of bounding box around your selection, which is pixel perfect to the outermost verts of your models XYZ, then the program simply measures the size of this imaginary box, thus giving you your collective measurements!

Again, a strange question I guess, but I think something like this could be really handy, especially with the current projects I'm working on.

Cheers!

Replies