Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BTR 70 APC

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount,

I have been working on this project for a while now. This is a russian btr 70 apc. It is part of a larger project. I wanted to get some crit for the modeling part. I have yet to UV, HP, and texture this APC. The low poly right now is about 12,500 tri. Not sure if that is too high or not. So I wanted to get an idea of how I am doing. I can upload a few more pictures if need be.

BTR 70 concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-70

BTR-70_Belarus_2.jpg

Screen grabs:

apc_1_by_zerostrike-d56a9p2.jpg

apc_1_wire_by_zerostrike-d56a9r5.jpg

apc_2_by_zerostrike-d56a9sv.jpg

apc_2_wire_by_zerostrike-d56a9uj.jpg

apc_3_by_zerostrike-d56a9w6.jpg

apc_3_wire_by_zerostrike-d56a9xn.jpg

apc_tire_by_zerostrike-d56a9ht.jpg

I'll hopefully be posting a good bit more of the other work to this project.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Blockout seems fine but that HP tire isn't gonna shade properly..
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replaying.

I recently learn a new technique for doing tire maybe I missed something. The technique had you model the tread then copy and merge into a strip. Then plainer uv map, next bend into a circle and merge. Like this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyL5tg6NH8"]Modeling tutorial in Maya - a tire tread - Part 1: create the basic tread - YouTube[/ame]

Is the problem from the modeling or the baking? Should I add more detail from the treads into the low poly?
  • Mordin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Xoliul means that the tire reads have sharp edges, you need to soften them for a good nrm and ao bake.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone,

I have an update. I was having trouble for some reason getting my model to look right with the back default shading in Maya so I put this wip into UDK to see how it looks. I still need to work on the tires a bit more. Giving it some dirt.

I also found that I am still having a shading issue on the back corners. Something having to do with the tris. I have those as "soft edges" in my yet they are coming out as hard edges in the fbx in udk. I might just take them out or re-append them.

In the screengrabs I don't have a normal or spec just the diffuse.

btr_70_wip1_by_zerostrike-d59akj8.png

btr_70_wip2_by_zerostrike-d59ak9l.png

btr_70_wip3_by_zerostrike-d59akcb.png

And my diffuse texture right now.

btr_70_diffuse_wip1_by_zerostrike-d59alcn.jpg

With the tire I did smooth the edges and the whole object so I think that fixed it?

I am not sure if I have too much dust/dirt in my diffuse.

So tell me what you think.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.

I was putting this apc into a scene. I am bringing the parts together now.

street_wip1_by_zerostrike-d59vhsh.jpg

street_wip2_by_zerostrike-d59vht0.jpg

street_wip3_by_zerostrike-d59vhu0.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Tires are too clear add some dust and dirt and apply a specular map onto the tank as it looks like it doesn't have it.Try tweaking the contrast as i cant see any dust on the tank or use unsharpen filter in photoshop/gimp.
  • mr. Silver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr. Silver polycounter lvl 9
    I am sorry for my bad english, but I'm sure you'll understand is what I want to tell you.

Your APCs in the UDK looks very angular, a feeling that if import facility in the UDK You can not put a tick in the smoothing groups, or imports into the FBX format is not properly configured.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    I agree the tires are too clean right now. Spec/gloss is going to be super important so I'm eager to see the rest of your maps. Really hope you intend to do a high poly of this. Also some stuff in your little scene is a bit distracting. Some of the noise on the concrete and that, I'm assuming refrigerator, is a bit too intense and too large. The fence also seems off, try going for something a little more like this:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_479/1266615808lI4g28.jpg

Since it looks like you were going for corrugated steel that will look more real.

But most importantly get on that high poly and spec/gloss maps!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, one thing we tend to do for my job and this could be different at other places, but we place the wheels on a separate texture map entirely. This works out for a few reasons but mainly because you can then reuse the tires on different vehicles without having to load a huge texture just for an itty bitty spot in the corner. Also, when using UDK it will give you more control in the material editor because metal and rubber are going to be distinctly different anyways.
  • mr. Silver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr. Silver polycounter lvl 9
    I again apologize, but your model is not very similar to the present. Do not get me wrong - this is not no valid criticism - I'm from Russia and has seen such a technique (like BTR - 80) live, if you really need, I can provide pictures as mine and with domestic resources.

Highly salient hatches and lights.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for commenting.

I just wanted to say that yes I do have dirt and spec in there. Its just really light. Here are some close ups of the APC.

street_closeup1_by_zerostrike-d59xncx.jpg

street_closeup2_by_zerostrike-d59xng7.jpg

street_closeup3_by_zerostrike-d59xnjb.jpg

@ivanzu Yes I have done that technique here. Its just kind of settle. I found that when I created textures I tend to do things WAY WAY too much grunge and the like. So this time I am trying to my them settle. Though I was doing hard surface work and this is more organic. Maybe more grunge is better in this kind of case. Make things more interesting?

@mr. Silver Thank you for you comments. Yes. The edges and the smoothing groups seem to be really hard edged. I do have some reference that I have collected of the BTR series of APC's however it might be nice to get some closer references of the painted metal or just the edges to see how they look. Thank you for your offer. :)

@PenGuin1362 I really like the reference photo of that fence better. I think maybe some galvanized metal might be better material. http://www.public-domain-image.com/cache/textures-and-patterns-public-domain-images-pictures/metal-texture-public-domain-images-pictures/galvanized-metal-wall_w725_h544.jpg

Also I agree with the noise on the concrete and brick. I'll see if I can fix it.

@praetus I thought of that myself but I wasn't sure how to do it. Wether to just import in 2 map and somehow assign to the different parts of the meshes? Or to bring in two different meshes and two different textures? Yea I do need to work on the materials for the rubber on the tires a bit more.

I should take a look at Racers tutorials again to take a look at the gloss/spec maps. I keep going back to them hope to understand more. I know now that for metals the diffuse should be more flat and plain looking and have more of the dirt and grunge in the spec. I still need to work on that a bit.

Again thanks for all the comments. :)