Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Art Test - Norn Female

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
3shold polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys.

I've been working on this art test for a couple weeks now while creepily lurking around and I realized that I never posted about it. I've been reading crits from other people about other people and applying them myself (which have been a huge help, btw). Now I'm about ready to start prepping for my lo-poly and would love to get some feedback.

I actually plan to apply for the job (assuming it's still available). So any crit is welcome. Although, after seeing all the amazing work done thus far, I'm resigned to just have this be a portfolio piece.

Thanks in advance!

Blog_shot_5.jpg
Blog_shot_5p2.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just some quick nit picking...
    Biceps are twisted upward in a strange way, should be more straight on with the camera angle. She looks muscular for a female, but doesn't have any lats making her torso look very straight without curve. Hip bones should go up a bit higher and give her more curve around the midsection. Lips look too narrow. The space between her legs is very wide even though her legs look rather straight, they should be closer together. The fur looks very uniform model wise, and overly noisy. The anatomy of the lower back is off, there shouldn't be such strong indent or those horizontal lines. Possibly give her a stronger chin, but that could be a design choice. Overall I like it though, keep pushing this dude.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along dude, I vouch for the points Brad makes though. The thing that stands out most to me most is the size of her waist in proportion to her upper torso, there should be a more definite hourglass shape in my opinion; Norn characters, as far as im aware, are fairly built and athletic, though not too stocky. I feel as though she's slightly lacking in muscle mass. Her back muscles could use a bit more work, specifically the trapezius. I'd also be tempted to make her cloth skirt pinch a bit more around nearer her belt, perhaps work on the folds at a lower subdivision (there seems to be some strange oscillation going on).,

All in all, looking great, but just a few tweaks could really help this before moving onto low poly!
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Brad: I'm glad you focused a lot on anatomy. I needed a bit of guidance on that. And it won't force me to change what I have in terms of clothing too much. I will get right on those when I get back to my tablet. How would you suggest I reduce the noisiness of the fur?

Dann: Some pinching at the belt level of the skirt is exactly what I needed. I was feeling the top of the skirt was a bit lacking. What oscillation are you referring to?

All in all, thanks for the awesome feedback. Looks like I need to crack open my anatomy book and get to tweaking.

Keep it coming, PC!
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    tumblr_m75leithcr1qfw0qeo1_1280.jpg

Since my last update I've taken the advice of BradMyers82 and DannSw (thanks again) and spent a deal more time working on the actual anatomy (specifically the back and hips). I've also built my low-poly and baked my maps. She's also in engine (marmoset toolbag) now. I baked on flat base colors from polypaint and mixed those with AO to get what you see above. Currently, I'm painting the hell out of a diffuse map.

She now sits a6 5977 Tris. I will be spending those extras on alphas for fur and hair. Her hair really is too boring, I think.