Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review (respawnrt)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
Hi there polycounters, i'm doing myself a portfolio.Things that are missing at the moment are the resume and some texture maps.Tell me what you find unpleasent, you know the drill :D.
I'm from Romania btw so i'll give a try at the few studios that are here.

http://respawnrt.com

Replies

• FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Haha I see you've got the blender cookie modeling challenge bunny. :D I wish they would do more of these.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe yeah i first saw it there and i though you know what this looks cool :D
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    I really like your simple layout! the work is really good too. specially like that alien shotgun! you might like to add a link to your Resume somewhere though.

The only crit have are for those tags. They look like they have some sort of lens flare or something in them.. also the fonts don't match. I also don't like the overlay of them I think they should be solid.

Other then those minor things though I think you've got a solid folio.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Solllliiiidddd work! Bookmarked :)

My only suggestion is maybe toss up some texture flats. Looks like you have some great texturing skills, maybe show off one or 2 of your flats to demonstrate your skillz / how you layout your UV's etc.

Great work!

Edit: opps, you said this in your post, my bad :P

I would link back to your homepage with your header image, at this point I can only click "back" on the browser to get back to your homepage :P
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah illusive you're right, i also made a mistake and put hkg36 K on the rifle texture instead of C lol.

Jason good ideas i'll make em happen but i need a clarification,Flats as how the diffuse appears on the model without shading, or just the simple texture sheets ? :)
    You mean this sort of flats ? :)) no shading, diffuse with flat lighting ?
    jberDgjQKsKMwq.png
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think he meant more like what the texture sheets look like (normal, diffuse, spec etc)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    your works are great, but presentation seems kinda chaotic.

first thing is that lots of your renders have cropped corners, which is something that any composition book would tell you to avoid.

for police bots, i think it would be a good idea to make a render that shows at least one of them almost frontally, and put that render on top of the page. side shots just aren't as interesting, humans tend to always look for and focus on faces.

http://respawnrt.com/index%20pics/tos/lancia%20stratos%203ds%20max%20viewport.png
    this would be a good render since it shows the coolness of car's silhouette. but there's some big distractions - the barrier thing and a part of other car.
    they really don't help at all so i'd remove them for this shot.

at the moment the only other shot that shows car from kinda 3/4 view is this:
    http://respawnrt.com/index%20pics/tos/lancia%20stratos%203ds%20max%20viewport%20wireframe.png
    however it has wireframe overlay so it doesn't serve the purpose of being a beauty shot.

as for alien gun, lighting could use some tweaking. at the moment it kills the hue variety that texture has and tints everything reddish.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Blaisoid, really great points, especially the bot scene that lacks the frontal shot :) my bad.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, i fixed some things: text, bots new renders to show the front, shotgun new renders with changed light, added textures maps and clickable main images to bigger res.

What i still need to do is the Stratos tips and the cv.

http://respawnrt.com
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is good, you have nice clean models and your website is well layed out and easy to navigate. I'd probably change the header (the colours jar a bit and the font makes it reads like Portfaud) and make your contact details more apparent for when you add the resume. Some wireframes and more work would also be nice. Keep it up!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Texture sheets :) sorry haha :P
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice portfolio, once you get more work in there it's going to be killer :)

I think you weakest piece is the hk g46 c, I think in the first 3-4 textured shots the spec looks a bit uniform makes the whole gun seem a bit flat shading wise.
    For the modeling/design the gun missing bigger scale details in the middle section makes it look a bit boring, that's not your fault though :) Also there is a picture at the bottom that is missing.

Keep up the good work :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Wombatinahat i'll change the header with clearer text :).
    Yeah Strombert i did that 2 years ago when i didn't even knew about polycount haha. I think i improved just by looking at threads :D.So i'll give it a new skin in the close future when i have time, i'll also think of something new.
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Like how clean and easy to get around it is. Needs a "back" or "home" button once you're inside each section though.

Love your texture work. Really really refined. Also loved seeing that Stratos there. One of my favorite cars of all time.

I'm not sure what your career goals are, but your low-poly versions are still very high-poly for current-gen video game standards. Same with the texture resolution. They sure make for some beautiful renders though. :)

Best of luck!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you're right about the back button, i'll put them.About the models yeah they are kinda big on resources :D.