Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old 40's Fridge

Hello again counters! I'm working on an old 40's fridge for my finals department at school. I was not given a poly budget so I had a few questions:

1. What is an appropriate poly count for an asset like this? I was thinking somewhere around 1k-1.5k tris (is that way off?)
2. Is it appropriate to use an alpha on the shelves so they are flat planes (what other options are there?)
3. Do you see large details missing or extra geo that doesn't need to be in there?

Ref:
Screenshot2012-02-29at21210PM.png

HiRes:
HiRes_Finished.jpg

LoRes:
LoRes_Finished.jpg

Wires:
LoRes_Wires.jpg

I appreciate any feedback I can get, so bring it on. The lo-res is about 1.6k right now. The light bulb is flat on the back end and the hinges are squares. I also have the 'pegs' modeled as squares to hold the shelves, are those even needed?

The only thing I was told was to make it 'look good'. But, I obviously want it to be on par with an asset at a game studio.

Thanks,
Tony.

Replies

• Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    looks like it might be getting allot of waviness in the bake. would probably add some more divisions
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hello! I think 600 pr 650 is more than enough for it. The firs step before you start on the low is to think what geometry will be baked on the low. Yes alpha for the shelves... just a plane for each. As for the hinges. The parts that attach to the door and main part of the fridge should be baked on the normal map and not modeled/ The only thing that u can keep modeled is the middle part of it the pivoting part. You can go with a 5 sided cylinder. The handle? Did you make a low for that? You can go rather low with that and still make it look good. Personaly I would beef up some of the details. Like the things that the shelves stand on. But I wouldn't bother with a low for them. Maybe baked on the normal map... as they won't be seen that much either way. As for the cooling unit inside the fridge... that can be just one object, more of a boxy model... and the details will be baked on the low and they will still look awesome. As for the door you can delete that extra object on top and just project the details on the normal map. Now to get on with the main body. It seems that you have lots of intersecting objects there. IMO the whole thing should be one object with no intersecting parts and with a more boxy approach, meaning keep it as low as possible, but with somewhat round corners on the top. Maybe an overpaint will help you even more. If I have the time I'll do one. Hope it helps. If you have any questions... go right ahead and ask.