Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-fi Office

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

Recently I've worked on a small portfolio environment, I kind of got inspired by the first chapter of Gears of war 3 that's taking place on a ship.
Normally I make assets and don't do much environment making or set dressing. So hopefully you guys can give me some feedback.

btw. I'm working on the chair at the desk, at the moment. Please don't mind ;)

Greetz,
Rockstar6

udk2012070302111538.jpg

udk2012070302114753.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    It's not bad, however, it doesn't feel quite sci-fi. The Room is kind of sci-fi but feels a more like a ship. The real issue, the desk doesn't feel sci-fi at all, it actually feels old. If I block out the background, the desk actually looks pretty good, but it doesn't mesh with the thematic elements of the background and therefore feels out of place.

I would consider redoing the desk, maybe making it metal, and changing or adding more props that would make it feel "sci-fi".
  • nick2730
    Door make me feel like an underwater station
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    Not bad at all, but I agree with the others. Looks more like a submarine. The red and white stripes feel more medical than office like. I'd like to see a metal desk also, and maybe a little more fancier chair.
  • WarrenM
    The door is a huge part of it. It looks like a door you'd find on a large ship or submarine. Change the door and you'll change the feel of the whole thing. :)
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys! Really helpfull!

The reason why it might look like a ship/submarine is that I've tried to get that feeling from a specific chapter in Gears of War 3, where the player also starts on a ship. I think Sci-fi Office wasn't really the proper term but more "sci-fi ship cabinet/battleship room" or so.
    So my bad on that one ;).

However, I am going to redo the desk and maybe the door(s). Besides that I'm also considering to add more props to enhance the atmosphere in the scene. Not sure what I"m going to add yet tho :P

Thanks guys, much appreciated,

Rockstar6
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    I really like it in my opinion. I do agree that it looks a little like a futuristic ship but it looks as if you are going for that look.

Look forward to see which way this goes! :)
  • Samfisher84
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    id advise more interesting angles on the objects, for example the verticle columns, you could add more edges and start pull them outward and start creating random panel like structures...get creative. also add maybe monitors or speakers, maybe get rid of that wooden table and do a touch screen display.
  • aobond
    Offline / Send Message
    aobond polycounter lvl 7
    yea, add some monitors and some electronic future stuff. it looks great bro
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I really like this scene and the colours are a welcome departure to a usual white/grey sci-fi scene.

To really sell where the scene is set, I think it would look great to have a metal ship figurine on the desk, much like this:

31cMzRYcQ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That way, I think people will instantly associate the scene's forms with that of a ship's interior :)

Keep up the good work!
    nick2730 wrote: »
    Door make me feel like an underwater station
    Door makes me feel like an underwater station too, my friend.
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback I took all of it into consideration and it was very helpfull for me.

For now I'm working on the chair that's going to be placed at the desk and I need to figure out why my particle emitters won't work in the editor viewport with DX11.

Besides that I might add a small piece of carpet near the desk, not sure if it fits the scene. And I'll re-do the doors since this gives too much of a submarine/underwater station feeling.

btw. I did keep the wooden table but changed it to gray/white wood. I sort of looked at how Gears took this into consideration. I think the white color doesn't make the wood "pop-out" that much anymore.

Cheers,
    Rockstar6

udk2012070502260455.jpg

udk2012070502260960.jpg

udk2012070502280827.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    nice progress. Changing the table to white helped the scene out imo. Good idea adding the monitors also.
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Adding the monitors really helped. How did you manage to get that look, did you model them and assign the screen material to a plane? If that's the case can you give some insight into the material? I'm trying to do some sci-fi screens similar to these and I don't know where to begin. I assume you would need a diffuse texture but beyond that, I'm in the dark.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    LMP wrote: »
    It's not bad, however, it doesn't feel quite sci-fi. The Room is kind of sci-fi but feels a more like a ship. The real issue, the desk doesn't feel sci-fi at all, it actually feels old. If I block out the background, the desk actually looks pretty good, but it doesn't mesh with the thematic elements of the background and therefore feels out of place.

I would consider redoing the desk, maybe making it metal, and changing or adding more props that would make it feel "sci-fi".

... because you can't have "sci-fi" on an old ship, right? ;-)
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    @ljsketch Thanks man =]

@ Endfinity Jon
    You got that right, I assigned a different material to the parts where I want the screen texture to show up. The screen texture is unique, that has a different grayscale texture in each channel.

The reason why I did that is, I can have full control over each channel when I want to change the intensity or the color that is being used. Then I'd make a Material Instance so I can see the changes happening on the spot. I'm not sure if it's the best way this shader could have been made but it does get the job done.

I hope it gave you a good insight how I did it. Also you can see the screenshot for the shader setup.

screenshader.png

Cheers,
    Rockstar
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Another small update. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of calling this one done.

Cheers,

Rockstar

edit: did some small adjustments

udk2012070710452573.png
    udk2012070710451248.png
    udk2012070710450733.png
    udk2012070700401717.png
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    You got some pretty nice shapes there but why is everything so dirty XD
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos wrote: »
    You got some pretty nice shapes there but why is everything so dirty XD
    Well, because it's an old ship interior. xD Is it that disturbing?

Cheers,
  • MystiqueX
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice. I love the hologram displays!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    rockstar6 wrote: »
    Well, because it's an old ship interior. xD Is it that disturbing?

Cheers,

The grime doesn't make much sense. The paneling seems to have been exposed to rain? Definitely add grunge to where the panels meet and stuff but stay away from "dripping" grime. That only occurs when a surface is exposed to rain or to leaks from a pipe over a long period of time.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Loving the miniature ship on the table! :P
    I'm inclined to agree with @Minos about the grime - I think it would look better localised around specific areas where it makes sense.
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    @Minos & @SirCalalot
    Thanks for the feedback! I took it into account and I'll adjust it when I have a chance. =]

I also got some feedback that the scene looked a bit washed out, so I did another pass on Postprocessing.

No PS, just UDK.

Cheers,

udk2012071011152548.jpg
    udk2012071011152157.jpg
    udk2012071011151916.jpg
    udk2012071011152314.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I like it. Nice colours, lighting and texture work. Second shot my fav so far.
    Put together quick overdraw of what I would do with lighting/postprocessing.

tumblr_m6yxj8Fnr91rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

But then again it depends on what type of theme you're going for.
    Also I think that chair in the last shot is out of place. Go for a sci-fi one. EG.

http://marcustroy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/villain-chair.jpg

Not exactly like that but you get the idea.
    Other than that, everything else is great. The desk with the map is cool, shows a little story. Keep it up!
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    @danpaz3d Thanks for the comment but I think I'll keep it like this. I was aiming for a more warm colored environment. Although I also like the alternative version you did.

About the chair, I'm not sure if I'm going to adjust it. I might reconsider it in a few days/weeks but for now it doesn't feel that out of place for this environment. But like I said, I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Re-adjusted the textures:
    udk2012071116591923.jpg
    udk2012071116591594.jpg
    udk2012071116591208.jpg
    udk2012071116591762.jpg
  • Falkz
    can you share your project?
    thx