Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RC Car

Badroof
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Badroof polycounter lvl 5
Hello, this is a piece for my portfolio, model of a radio controlled car. Which areas need more work?
I think that the pattern on the tires looks shallow. I don't know what to do with it, though. On my high poly mesh, which was used to bake the normal map, the "thingies" are quite big... any ideas on how to correct this?
Any feedback appreciated! Hi five!
2u8gj09.jpg

Replies

• whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High five back to you sir! Can you post pictures of the hi res version. that will help determine what is going on with the wheels 'thingies' as you put it. :) My guess would be they are 90 angles so your bake isn't picking them up. You could fix the hi poly model or strengthen them up in ps.

Over-all I think the car looks good. IMO the textures could be pushed more. Even if you're going for a really clean looking car, there would still be a few scratches here and there. Also the front right tires look weird from this angle.. not sure though, it could just be the render. Can you post another shot, maybe with some wires.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Model wise it's pretty weak, did you bake a normal map? It needs a real texture. I think you shouldn't work on this for a portfolio piece to be totally honest. Or even have a portfolio at this point. Hell, I don't even have one. Don't be in a big rush, take your time with it and study some refs a little more. I'm not trying to be a dick, just be honest, that's how I want people to be to me so idk. Also, this looks like it's from a max 2013 veiwport, use a game engine or marmoset if you want some better results. It's really flat looking. Take a look at racer 445's tutorial on texturing, it's a lot like a photo, you need to use texture composition to define clear areas of interest and not a bunch of hi-density noise. Textures should tell a story, often if they look "clean" or new no one will really find interest in it.

He also modeled an RC car recently: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87971

Don't take this as an attack, remember to ALWAYS look at your work from a humble point of view, we all make shit, because it can always be better, doesn't mean you can't be proud of it, just remember to see the flaws. I hope this helps.
  • Badroof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badroof polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the constructive critique, Alex - I suppose you are right. Eventually I decided not to leave this project as you suggested, but to improve it instead. So this is my another take on the RC Car. I started with the wheels. I feel like I got what you meant by "areas of interest" and defined some. What do you think?
    2im5dhi.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    That looks a LOT better man!