Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Desert Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
I've been working on this scene for a while. Obviously, this is nowhere near the final version. I have a ton of props waiting to be textured, but I'm hoping to get that done in the next few days. There isn't too much to critique right now, but any feedback would be appreciated.

I modeled the style after an art test I did a while back. The concept was confidential, but the style they gave me to work with was stylized textures with realistic normals. I thought it gave the scene an interesting look so I decided to do another piece in a similar way, especially since it makes texturing incredibly fast and easy.

desert1.jpg

desert2.jpg

These are some of the plants I've made for the scene. I still need to randomize the cactus spines some more and I have a few more plants to make.

plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

plants3.jpg

Replies

• Santhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The plants look very nice, but the cactus plants seem very highpoly? Can you give us some wires maybe?

Also the style is kind of weird, i can see what you want to archieve, but the skybox and sand arent really matching yet. I'd defently recommend putting this in an Engine. It will probably give you better options over fog and such (or is this already in-engine?)

Either way, id put a softer coloured skybox on this, right now the contrast between sky and desert is really hard, where as there's barely any contrast between the desert and the house. If i were you i'd just tweak the colours, make the house lighter (most of these desert houses are plastered white, i think) and the cloth a darker, deeper red. That should make the house stand out more, right now the horizon draws too much attention.

Other than that i'd add some sand dunes. and make the rocks in the background a bit rockier. Theyr very nice on the base but way too smooth on top, imo. Also, tone back the red in the rocky layer right behind the house, i'd make it darker and less saturated.

P.S. What are your ambient occlusion settings on this? It seems like you have a lot of AO spread out over a very small distance, which gives it an almost cell-shaded look. It'll probably be nice if you don't want realism, but you might want to tone it down a little little bit.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll post some wires when I got home from work tonight. The cacti really aren't that high poly. The spines might give them that illusion, but they're just a tiling texture. The blue-eyes are the ones that are probably too high.

The skybox is temporary since I need to make a more stylized one to fit the look I'm going for. I kind of liked the high contrast between the sky and desert, but I can see how it might detract from the rest of the scene. I will probably wait until I see how it looks when I put the other props in before I decide if I want a more toned down sky.

I will work on the shape of the buttes some more.

The red rock near the hut is the result of overlapping UVs in my lightmap, which I forgot to fix. It's badly distorting the color.

I haven't touched the post process settings yet, so the AO is just the default from UDK.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking really nice! I would definitely try to get some more silhouette with your rock shapes, however.

I did just a quick paintover for you to see what I mean.

hgklk.jpg

Having strong silhouettes is the easiest way to make simple game-res models seem detailed. Your rocks are nice, but could use some more shape. Try filling them with some negative space and let the sky shine through.

Keep us updated!

Also recommend you put this in engine. It will certainly make it look nicer and improve your iteration time.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't gotten nearly as much time to work in the last little while as I would have liked. Still, I have managed to do some. These are my latest updates. I still have a few more props to add, particularly in the area in front of the house, and I still have to add the plants. I did a little work on the rocks in the background to make the silhouette more interesting, but I didn't go as extreme as the paint over. I also darkened the cloth, lightened the house texture, and changed the sky, though this is still not the final sky I plan to use.

desertWIP1.jpg

desertWIP2.jpg

desertWIP3.jpg

desertWIP4.jpg

Also:
    desertWTF.jpg

I thought this was just a lighting problem, except it doesn't show up in the editor, but it is there when I am in-game. I haven't worked with terrain in quite a while, so I'm not really sure what's going on right there.

If anyone has suggestions on way to improve this, props i should add, etc, I would love to hear them.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I think it's a lighting/shadow/terrain issue. I've come across it before on static meshes but that was a while back, can't remember how or if I fixed it :S

All I can say is go through some of the properties for the terrain and that cliff/canyon mesh. Try fiddling with the lightmap resolution and other properties. If all else fails, chuck a decal over it and see if that works.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    looks quality. I like your take on the textures giving them a cartoony look, gives it a wicked roadrunner feel.

How did you get your shadows so defined by the way because i have been importing a few bits into UDK just testing out how they look and the shadows are terrible instead of showing a defined shadow line like in yours they are massive illuminated to the point where they are not there its really annoying
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I believe he is rendering this in Mental Ray..

*edit* DOH! He is using UDK. My bad, nothing to see here!
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Seaseme wrote: »
    I believe he is rendering this in Mental Ray..

Lol, yea don't do this. Completely defeats the purpose of it. Use UDK, Cryengine, or some kind of game engine.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    it doesn't show up in the editor, but it is there when I am in-game. I haven't worked with terrain in quite a while, so I'm not really sure what's going on right there.

If anyone has suggestions on way to improve this, props i should add, etc, I would love to hear them.

Pretty sure he is working in UDK :thumbup:

*edit* also you can see the default UDK material on some of the objects.
    It's in UDK

Benjam wrote: »
    How did you get your shadows so defined by the way because i have been importing a few bits into UDK just testing out how they look and the shadows are terrible instead of showing a defined shadow line like in yours they are massive illuminated to the point where they are not there its really annoying

Have you tried baking your lighting? Also try changing the lighting resolutions on your objects.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    I thought lightmass automatically baked in the lighting for you?? I will play around with the res on the objects and hunt for more tutorials.

Has anyone come across this issue before?
  • Mordin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried upping the lightmap size a bit? Or do you have overlapping uvs in the lightmap? Also try to have as few uv shells as possible in the lightmap and dont have them too close together. Are the normals all the right way round?
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    All the LIght maps are ok the normals are fine etc. i upped the light map res on the static meshes to 1024 which gave me decent looking shadows except it nearly melted my PC. Is 1024 too high or do you use 1024 when youve got your lighting down and are ready to show off the final piece?
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    cool look it have! thought about making this kind of desert environment myself someday! love the art style
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    i would desaturate the cloth a bit you know burning sun all day probably bleaches it some. Or? i don't know.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting, I was working on a scene like this a while ago. Might as well share the mood board I made. Hopefully it helps. Looking forward to seeing where you take the theme :D

http://www.ichii3d.com/random/desert_moodboard_01.jpg
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally managed to get some time to work on this thing again. I'm nearly done, but I'm having some trouble getting the lighting on my foliage to look right. Right now I have it set to non-directional lighting because that looks much better compared to phong or even the custom lighting I have used in the past. It keeps coming out mostly black despite everything I have tried, so if anyone has any idea I would love to hear them.

These shots were taken with preview lighting and they are from the editor not in-game, so I will have higher quality screenshots later. I haven't forgotten about the wireframes, but I'm too tired to get them right now, so I'll post them before I finish.

Please let me know how I can improve this. Thanks.

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Your scene is currently being let down a lot by the lighting, your art work looks ok and could benefit from a bit more depth.

A few ideas would be to look at the haze/fogging effect in the middle pictures of the moodboard I posted. You currently have fog but its only really on one object in the distance, this doesn't give you a sense of progressive distance. I recommend adding in more layers of background along with a final horizon layer. Each one separated in distance to give a great sense of depth and progression into the distance.

Also making reference to the moodboard again your scene might be complimented by a better sky, currently its lining the horizon which isn't bad it just doesn't give as much of a feeling of clouds as it possibly could.

Considering your scene is in the desert a lot of your objects feel very dark, even though they might be low in saturation there darkness moves away from the sun bleached look you would get in such a location.

Your ground looks a little like generic mud, its understandable your location would be a blend between sand and mud but it doesn't feel dry or cracked. This also comes back to the feeling that everything lacks sun bleach and dryness.

EDIT: Also I would possibly ditch the light inside the house, it conflicts with the hot desert outside. With the fire and warm colours it emits it makes you feel like its warmer outside than in... I would have thought the shack would give you more of a sense of shade and hiding from the torment of the heat outside.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small thing, but on the inside it looks like your SSAO is a light gray/tan.
    I think that is having the opposite effect that SSAO is supposed to have, grounding your objects.

I would maybe play with adding some more grass or other foliage around the edge of the building, also on the inside.

I think i higher quality lighting bake would make a huge difference.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I color corrected some of my textures to give them more of a sun-bleached look and i took out the light in the lamp and worked with the fog some. I am going to add a horizon, find a better sky dome, work on my ground textures, and try to improve my lighting when I get home from work. In the meantime, does anyone else have any thoughts on how I might improve this?

desertFixes_1.jpg

desertFixes_2.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    How did you make your broken walls? I presume zbrush or mudbox and then retopo?
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imo give geo to the bed cloth it looks ultra flat. the sand material is very brown and boring and the same colour as the mountain behind, some small colour variation and bump should help. the wood outside is all super desaturated and all the same type and shade, needs variation and a bit of saturation. grass/shrubs tends to be a darker green in desert i believe. tarp could with smaller grain for its cloth, or the grain could stand out less?.
    i think part of the problem is that the stone of the shack is nice and detailed but the ground and mountain behind seem plain in comparison, almost like a different style. adding shrubs and pale stones could help add detail.
    im thinking that you want the shack to be the object of focus in the enviro in which case you probably want a complimentary colour to make it stand out from all the red, you could possibly colour the tarp green or add a hero object with the cart.

my 2 cents anyway, i hope that helps : ]
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackalope: My AO is a very dark red right now. I'll play with it some and see if I can improve it. I do feel like the foreground is a little empty, so I'm going to add some more plants. Also my lighting right now is preview quality because it takes hours to build production lighting on this huge terrain, so i want to hold off on that until I'm basically done.

SuperFranky: The house and damaged wall were made in zbrush and then retopologized.

paintforge: I'm working on the ground material. The lack of variation in the wood textures and the rust metal textures is because they all use the same tiling texture. I can add some variation with vertex colors, but I was trying to keep the number of textures I used to a minimum. The oversized details in some of my textures is because when I started this project, I intended to use that as part of the stylization, but as i have gotten feedback it has shifted farther and farther from that and now I need to go back and fix those issues. That is why the rocks in the background, which I made first, might look like a different style than the props, which I made last. I will go back and update my older textures.

My textures for the plants are actually much darker than they appear in these shots, but there is a lighting problem that I haven't worked out yet. Right now they are using non-directional lighting just because it looks less terrible than phong or my custom lighting. Eventually I'll fix that.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having serious issues with lighting this terrain. Since my terrain is very flat it had to be large, so it takes forever to build with low quality settings. Production quality is impossible and even on medium quality I have to set the lightmap resolution on the landscape to 16 or higher in order to get any shadows from the plants. That means that I end up running out of memory before the map can build.

This is the best result I have been able to get and in order to get that I had to have a friend build the level on his computer: IHateDeserts.png

Does anyone have a good workaround for this because I would hate to think I put in all of that work to have it wasted because I can't build the lighting. Ideally, I would like to get the plants to cast dynamic shadows on the terrain, so I could lower the lightmap resolution, but I can't figure out how to do that. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just let it run again all night with lowered settings and it was at .03% this morning. I think the only way this will work is if I can force the plants to cast dynamic shadows. I can't figure out how to do that though because, unless I'm missing it, it's not in the settings for the light, the landscape, the foliage, or in the content browser. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    go to your Dominant Directional light properties > light component > cascaded shadow maps > whole scene dynamic shadow radius (tweak settings). make shadow radius 1024 or some size.

Should have dynamic shadows on objects for the scene if you didn't change the lighting channels around.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to say I am a bigger fan of how it looked before *see first post*. I really digged the cartoon feeling, now it looks really desaturated, the colours look lifeless and nothing is really popping out at the moment.

Dont get me wrong; it looks awesome but I prefer the other style. In terms of improvements I would possibly throw in something that contrasts the scene quite a bit. Its all very orangey, brown, red etc. A cool clapped out rusted blue pickup truck could look pretty cool. Just something that isnt directly in the same colour range as the surroundings.

As I said, it looks awesome but lacks something to grab you. In my opinion of course :P
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should make the colors really pop. Bright orange. Bright green. Add some blue.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally managed to finish this thing. I ended up having to turn the terrain into a static mesh and recreate it, but that gave me the change to work with it some in Zbrush and I think this version is a little better. It's not the best solution, but without being able to use swarm, there was no way I was going to be able to build the lighting on my computer.

I also liked it better before I pulled out some of the color. It may not be realistic for the sun-bleached look of a desert, but it feels more like the style I started with now. Thanks for the help everyone.

desert1.jpg
    desert2.jpg
    desert3.jpg
    desert4.jpg
    desert5.jpg
    desert6.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow nice man. this is really starting to come together.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    :O how did yo get the light rays to be all god like??!?! i must know! It looks quality man im loving the lighting. Bringing the colour out again gives the scene a real pop to it
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the last shot does appeal the most to me :)
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on finishing. Looks great!
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Benjam: The light rays are UDK's light shafts. I boosted the bloom a little bit but that's about it. Part of it comes from the light scattering in the exponential height fog and the effect on the interior shot is from making the cloth translucent rather than masked so that some of the light passes through it.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking awesome.
    I don't know if this was already brought up - but i don't think your sky matches the style of the rest of the scene. While the lighting is great I think the actual imagery is fighting with the colors and brushwork of the rest of it. I can't tell if that's a UDK sky though and maybe you just haven't done it yet.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    That last shot looks awesome. Only thing for me is that the interior of the hut thing is a bit dull. Other than that I think its great.