Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-Fi Hallway

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    @Zero I hadn't thought of the off-kilter angle yet. I've given myself this week for clean-up and portfolio shots, so I will definitely try that out. Thanks for the tip!
  • x70x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A dutch angle is a great idea. Glad you spent some extra time to polish this scene. Looks great!
  • Arctic Furnace
    Its really nice to see the workflow and see how its come along. Really nice work :) Kinda makes me want to make something sci-fi now :D
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, been following this one with interest.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. This being my first real shot at creating an environment post-graduation, I was nervous about how this would turn out. If you look at my portfolio you can see what I did before this was not what you'd call "good" so creating something that gets positive feedback is an extremely rewarding experience, and what I've learned over the (admittedly lengthy) process is priceless.

In looking at this I've got a few very minor tweaks to make, and as I've said, construction shots are on their way, but for now, thanks again to everyone who has stopped by with critique or just to say hey.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, a quick question about the "dutch angle." It's very likely I'm just not familiar enough with UDK to know how to do this, but I messed around with this tutorial:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTynK7Ai6Hk"]UDK Tutorial - Custom Camera Angle (Kismet) - YouTube[/ame]

And my result was not what I was looking for. I tried rotating the camera to get a better angle but when I played the level, keeps the position but not the rotation, so I'm still left with a straight on shot more or less. The way I've been capturing my screens thus far is using the tiledshot command, and I go into the level by holding ctrl+play from here to remove the weapon from the scene. Is there any way to tilt the camera once I've entered the level that way? Any help is appreciated, as I'm looking to finish up my portfolio shots and construction shots ASAP.

EDIT: Got a point in the right direction hopefully from the UDK Subforum, going to look into some matinee stuff. If that gets to be too much of a hassle I may just use the standard camera (for now) and come back to it later, or before I begin applying at studios.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Hey J0NNYquid I saw your post in the other forum with Eric Chadwick and this does look alike its probably the right way to go about doing inside of UDK with Matinee, however what I was originally getting at was just taking your final image/screen tile shot into photoshop and doing a quick small rotate and crop.

Simple and straight forward.

Its not like you are doing a UDK fly through? If you are going to in the end to that you will have complete control over the camera if you do a fly through, but this is just the final image, correct?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zero Yeah, it's just the one or two static images of the level I'll put in my portfolio, I went into it with no plans to do any sort of fly-through. I'll see how it looks with the rotate/crop in PS.

The shots are up on my portfolio site finally http://camraab3d.com/ I have to put them up as the first images, but they are on there.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Well. Congrats on finishing. I need to get my butt in gear to do something myself. lol. But I have learn alot from you and your progression. Thanks. I like the break down shot you have in your portfolio. I think that this work is your strongest piece on your site.