Home General Discussion

The Art of Blizzard (Hardcover)

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    tottot wrote: »
    I had it on pre order, but cancelled after seeing a flip through and reading that there would be no art from the cinematics. I feel like I have all those images burned into my fanboy brain already :P

Yeah I looked at the flip through video, looks like I'm not missing much since I've been buying the Blizzard's CE's since WOW came out.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come its listed as 376 pages on amazon.com but only 352 on co.uk ? :(
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Just got the book last night -
    Its cool revisiting all those concepts from early Warcraft days by Metzen and Samwise. It is defiantly nostalgic for an old fart like me.
    I haven't even browsed past the first 100 pages, but this book is huge! There is also a small section in the back with images from a canned project.
    I think Rwolf does have a point, many of the concepts I've come across are not new to me. But I haven't fully browsed the book yet so I'm sure my input is premature.
    So far I'd say it's a great addition to any art book collection.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine arrived last night and damn is this thing thick! Can't wait to dig in...
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Mine came in today as well.

Thick would be an understatement. Over all impression is ...soso. They could have done a better job, rather the quality and thought behind layout and design doesnt seem to have the same love as their older books, especially the collectors edition art books.

Still worth it though.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    got mine couple days ago.....really would have liked to see more of mr. jack. but daaaaaaaamn.....so gooooood.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I forgot I had it on order still and if I'm honest I don't really like it. It feels quite dated and I think you have to be a massive blizzard fan to enjoy it. Reminds me of the early warhammer work. It's still really good, don't get me wrong, but not my cup of tea.

edit ; just went through it again and theres alot of really lovely pieces :) Ive never got on with WoW but I love the art books, thats probably my main problem haha
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If it's anything like the Diablo 3 artbook, it seems like it's created for the general public instead of artists, the book is visually polished and has a lot of decent character concepts, but no real surprises.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I don't care for the flavor text, it's all very self-congratulatory and "oh look how epic this artist is, he's plainly the best in world at x." I wanted to hear more about the process and decisions from the artists themselves. Definitely geared towards fanboys more than art aficionados, but you can't argue with hundreds of huge color images.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    crazyfool wrote: »
    I forgot I had it on order still and if I'm honest I don't really like it. It feels quite dated and I think you have to be a massive blizzard fan to enjoy it. Reminds me of the early warhammer work. It's still really good, don't get me wrong, but not my cup of tea.

Oh man...I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered but it sounds like I should lower my expectations a bit anyway. I'm not a fan of Blizzard games but LOVE the artwork so thought this was the perfect way for me to enjoy all of the hard work the art teams put in.

By the sounds of it I'm guessing it's all 2D pieces with none of the 3D renditions?