Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

iPhone 4

Hey guys,

This is my latest project. It only took me 2 days from start to finish, so I'm pretty impressed with the work. I modeled a pair of iPhone 4's in Maya. The background in the images is the HDRI image, so of course it's lower quality. Anyway, here ya go.

iphone07.jpg

iphone08.jpg

iphone09.jpg

iphone010.jpg

iphone011.jpg

iphone012.jpg

iphone013.jpg

iphone014.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, for a second i thought your render was the ref photo :) very good job! ps. if you want some higher quality hdr images look here www.openfootage.net
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    nice! I actually think the lo fi images in the background detract from your work. I'd ditch them.
  • Crispy_Critter
    Thanks guys! Yep, I thought so too, so I am rendering without the HDRI as environment and rendering it out black, while keeping the reflections and specularity.

I think if I go to the mall and snap some pics with my digital SLR on the highest quality, I might be able to get some nice clean results.

Thanks for the link, nightshade. I'm going to check it out! :)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad, however they look too "dirty", especially the white one.
  • Crispy_Critter
    LMP wrote: »
    Not bad, however they look too "dirty", especially the white one.

They're not dirty. It's the photons from the HDRI lighting that is creating that effect. I've been trying to research how to get rid of that "cloudy dirt effect". Also, since the phones are made of a reflective material, they take on a bit of the colours of their surrounding environment.
  • Crispy_Critter
    does anyone know how I can use the HDRI lighting without getting the cloudy photon particle effect in my renders?
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good! I think the plus and minus on the volumebuttons are just slightly too big.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    along with that, the home button seems a lot deeper in your render than in person. The amount of shadow projected on it is really intense; more than I've ever seen on mine. I don't really see shadows on it actually, just curved highlights. Looking at your 4'th render clearly shows to me that it's way too deep. The edges of the button just ever so slightly pop off of the front of the phone, enough that dragging a finger over it you can feel the edge. The center of the button is probably the same distance beneath the surface (which once again isn't much at all). It's just enough curve to ever so slightly hug your thumb/finger.

The volume silencer also seems a bit big (the entire indented area and the actual slider itself). Maybe it's just that close up render and whatever focal length you are using, but it just seems a lot thicker than it should be. The orange line is also really really thin.

These critiques (especially the vibrate/silencer), are nit picky and aren't anything that I would suggest HAVING to change, but i did notice them pretty much immediately, so take that as you will :)

Looks great!
  • Crispy_Critter
    Bert - Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.

Three9 - I agree 100% about the home button. I am making it shallower and pushing it back just slightly.

I used blueprints I found in an iPhone wallpaper library. The drawing is incredibly accurate, which is unusual to find in public galleries. The ringer button is the correct size, it's just because it's right in your face. When you pull out, it looks much better. I agree about the orange decal though. I'm going to make it thinner. Easy fix in PS. I greatly appreciate this feedback! This is what I was looking for. Once I fix these issues, the model should be close to perfect.

Still struggling with getting a satined metal look on the metal rim around the main body. I can't seem to get the hang of making bump maps for mental ray material, which has a preset for satined metal. Currently, I'm using a blinn material.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you click on the yellow HDRi ball you can check primary visibility which will make it only render in reflections and such but will give you a black background. its under the renderstats tab

edit* have you tried the satined metal preset on the mia_material_x shader? i find it works pretty good
  • Crispy_Critter
    Nightshade - thank you! I have found the visibility switch. I have also found the ability to cause my HDRI to emit light, which I am doing a test render pass of right now. It's taking forever and I have a quad core, hardware accelerated open GL system. In addition, I am aware of the satined metal preset for the mia_material, but am having difficulty applying texture maps, in particular, a bump map on this material. Any suggestions on that?
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i have found that the emit light settings make the renders take an enormously long time. on the mia_material_x, i usually place my bump maps in the overall bump slot and it seams to work pretty decently. also to clear up the splotchy caustics, under the emit photons tab there should be a setting for the number of just the caustics photons which you need to bump up, a lot!.
  • Crispy_Critter
    Nightshade - cool! Thanks. I need to use a PSD network for the bump. Can u do psd networks with mib_materials? When I tried adding a file to the bump section of the shader, it told me the file can't be found.
  • Crispy_Critter
    **PROGRESS UPDATE**

Okay, so I've made a few of the changes. Take a look!

iphone015.jpg

^^^ In this one I turned off the HDRI visibility and turned on the HDRI emit light. Took 5 hours to render! o_O I am using a chrome HDRI.

iphone016.jpg

^^^ In this render, I have switched back to the gallery HDMI and made the home button shallower and tried to give the same angle shot for comparison with the before shot.

iphone017.jpg

^^^ In this one I fixed the orange ringer decal to be thinner and fixed the plus and minus icons on the volume buttons to be a tad smaller.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Seems like either the Final Gather or the G. Illumination is causing some splotching, most visible on the white phone behind the stand, where the most reflection tracing is being done. Still, nice renders.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This got me, I was like.... Okay... posting photorefs, like no one knows what an iphone looks like... but damn man. Nice.
  • Crispy_Critter
    Thanks everyone!

James - I have fixed that "dirty" look in my latest renders that I have posted.

ysalex - yeah, I get what u mean, I'm going to have to fiddle with those settings. Take a look at my latest renders. I think I have fixed it.
  • Crispy_Critter
    Why would you say that, Perkins7? Do you just not appreciate good work or are you just pathetic forum troll? Judging by your lack of explanation in your crit, seems to me like you're a pathetic troll.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    The model and render looks very nice but personally I don't like the presentation. I wouldn't use a pure black background especially when one of the phone in the scene is entirely black.

You could try having them placed on a table like the picture below. A subtle reflection on the table and the contact shadow will just make the picture more interesting.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/ip4review60022.jpg
    or If you want to keep the black background, add a color gradation behind the phone, so that the silhouette is clearly visible.
    http://gigaom.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/iphone4-new-feature.jpg
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Why would you say that, Perkins7? Do you just not appreciate good work or are you just pathetic forum troll? Judging by your lack of explanation in your crit, seems to me like you're a pathetic troll.

even worse, its a bot :p
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    You could place your Iphone4's in some unexpected place. With your modeling skills you could place them on the top of mt Fuji or at the base of a volcano, really the skies the limit.:)
  • Crispy_Critter
    z3phon - Thank you. This helps a lot!

Free_Fall - A bot? So, let me get this straight. Polycount has negative feedback robots that aimlessly wander around the forum looking for topics to troll? Weird!

Pancakes - :) Thanks, bud!
  • Crispy_Critter
    Also, here's what I was planning to do with the black background renders. I know it's not perfect, but I'm workin on it! :)

iphone_comp01.jpg