Home Technical Talk

Sub Tiling Texture

Hello,

This is a small tutorial about how to create a sub tiling texture.
Sub tiling is pretty much the same as normal tiling only now the center of every sub tile can be unique.
I made this building with this technique.
33thyfm.jpg

I was working on some small modular wall pieces and thought, well how can I get rid of the seams.
a few solutions:
1: just use trims to cover them up
2: use world UV materials
3: use sub tiling textures.

But how do I make sub tiles you ask? Follow the following steps below.

I'm going to make a small sub tiling floor of stone pieces.
the technique works pretty much the same for normal textures like grass plaster, etc.

TUTORIAL

1: grab your file and put it in your program. (I use PS)
I use a canvas of 512x512 in this example.

2: Think about the amount of sub tiles you want to have. if you want 4, then divide that with the canvas size. here 512 / 4 = 128.
Edit>Preferences>guides grids & slices. Set the grid to 128. subdivision: 1. ("ctrl + quotation mark" for grid toggle.)

3: Now use the clone stamp to separate a few stones from the texture on to a empty part of the canvas.
(step 1)

4: Now you can start with the sub tiling part. place the stones on the grid. Pic: SubTexture_03. (step 2)

5: Now you copy that same stone and place it on the exact same spot 128 units down (or whatever grid settings you use) (step 3)

6: Now make a square like in the picture. See that the horizontal stones are mirrored but also the vertical stones.
fokg76.jpg

7: Now you can del everything that comes out of that square. Pic: SubTexture_04
nfjx4m.jpg

8: copy what you got left and place it in all the grid squares. pic: SubTexture_05
260wmxd.jpg

9: To make things allot easier I always make my canvas bigger to put the base texture there so that i can easily use my close stamp, to place new stones. Pic: SubTexture_06
4tr3g2.jpg

10: Now use the base texture to fill up 1 square. NEVER go over the grid line when adding things to your square. Pic: SubTexture_07 red arrow part.

11: With this setup you can start and fill up all the white spots, however you are still going to notice tilling if you do it like that. (seems are gone to)
So what your now going to do is change the stones on the grid a bit. but never change the part that got the grid line. so you can lengthen stones, shorten them. etc. Pic SubTexture_07 Blue arrows.
It's smart to change that before you fill all the squares!.
2441imx.jpg

Note: I did not fill everything up because its allot of work, and this way you can better see the result of the no seems when in game.

12: Add a layer behind the stone layer and put a texture in there, this to fill it up. Pic: SubTexture_08
cufpk.jpg

13: Now crop the texture back to the original size. 512x512 for me.

14: import to game engine and done. pic: SubTexture_09
2isv5sy.jpg

Well I hope you guys can use it.

Greetings from:
Sander "ZixXer" Vereecken

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Very neat little tut, thanks for sharing man.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tutorial.

Unfortunately the texture details are very repeated. To avoid this you need to heavily change the edges of each border stone, which is a lot of work like you say. Too much work because you have to touch almost every stone.

IMHO it's better to use the texture space to store a large unique pattern, rather than a pattern with sub-tiling.

Do you have any examples that avoid this kind of heavy repetition?
  • ZixXer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Well the key to good tiling textures: If you notice a detail in the texture, you need to kill that, (the smaller the texture, the more you need to kill unique spots.) until you don’t notice repetition anymore. Uniform looking textures are the best. and for the stone example that I used, as long as all your stones are pretty much the same color and size the repetition will be kept to a minimum.
    the following pic below was made with the same technique, and as you can see are the sub tiling squares pretty small, but the repetition is kept to a minimum because of the same size of stones and color. the texture below only used the vertical grid to tile stones, I just used the white background for the horizontal tiling.
    The texture for the image below took me 1 hour to make. The scene below is made out of a lot of planes, all with different sizes and shapes. To show how easy you can put a plane just 1 grid size higher or lower.
    f1ms1l.jpg
    Hope that helped.