Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ferret Monk Character

Hey Polycount,

Thought I'd get you lot to sling some good old fashioned C&C at me on my new character.

It started as all good things do as a joke that got out of control. My other half asked me to make her a model of one of our ferrets, and I accepted the challenge, but added a bit of a twist :D.

Also, been playing too much D3. So... he's a monk... yeh.

2yo3dhu.jpg

Bare in mind that the clothing/armor is all still in the blocking in stage, so I'm aware it looks a bit noddy atm!

I shall keep this updated when progress is made :D

Cheers!

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the face isn't ferrety at all... i'll upload some photos of my ferrets tomorrow for you.
  • Fango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Polycounter with ferrets, awesome! I have six of the little things.

But yeh, would be wicked if you could let me know what seems unferrety about the face! I figured a lot of the ferret would come from the uniques sable markings, but if it not reading as a ferret without the markings I must not have it nailed.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ferret.jpg

i just feel you need to make him more "sleek". not just the head but the body too. i totally understand the anthropomorphic style you're after, but you're not capturing the aspects of the animal here.

remember what ferrets are, and what they do.
    they're tunnelers
    they're flexible
    they can fit into any hole big enough for their head (regardless of the rest of their body)
    they're loooong! (really push that silouhette, make his body really long)
    they're sleek, fit, fast predators, they kill through stealth, accuracy and speed over strength.
    they're flat footed! try to work that into the hands somehow... hands are a massive part of character readability/believability, get them right!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    And when they bite...it hurts.

They also don't like to let go.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    katana wrote: »
    And when they bite...it hurts.

They also don't like to let go.

hold them (gently) by the scruff of their neck (the loose skin). be a little patient, their reaction to that is to yawn, it's a sign of submission.
  • Fango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Gir, much appreciated. I will work these suggestions into the model when I get home from work. I definitely need to make him longer. He was pretty long to start with, but in bulking out the shoulders and arms, its detracted from that in in the silhouette. I did a bit of streamlining before I went to bed last night, just to test out how the face would look, and it defiantly looked better.

I plan on making the feet more anatomically ferrety than the hands, but Im going to try adding pads, claws and webbing to his hands and see how it looks.

@Katana, Yeh, it hurts, I developed a resistance to it during the past few years while nip training ours, none of them bite at all now as I spent a lot of time training them not to, funnily enough by getting bitten repeatedly and telling them off for it repeatedly. Hands looked like I'd been in a fight with a stapler and lost for a good few weeks! lol.

on a side note, this is the guy that this character is based (losely) on

377917_10150424720132341_306265366_n.jpg
  • Fango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update - I have changed the proportions a fair bit, trying to take note of the suggestions you guys made. I'm still not 100% on the face, but its getting there. I think I'm going to possibly stick this on the backburner for a while and attempt the Mixamo comp, not sure just yet.

sqk28w.jpg

15s6l3p.jpg

C&C welcome as always!

Fango