Home Technical Talk

What have I done wrong? - Quads vs. Triangles vs. Beveling

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
Good morning polycounters,

I was recently working on a 3D car model, when I received some feedback regarding my modeling technique. I love getting criticism that helps me improve my modeling, and I've been racking my brain trying to get my head around the differences, google-ing topics, reading forums, checking tutorials and just experimenting with different techniques. Now I have reached a point where I'd like to see if anyone can explain things better than I'm trying to explain to myself.

The images below are of a car hood. I've included the original triangulated CAD model that was provided, the "correct mesh" (which was greatfully provided to me so that I could learn what I did wrong), and the "wrong mesh," which is the rejected mesh that I originally provided.

Mesh_eg01.JPG

The correct mesh looks great in the viewport, it's smooth, has visible chamfers/bevels, and was the mesh that was approved by my boss. The wrong mesh, which I submitted was stated to have bad curves (especially around the middle of the hood), bad chamfering and I assumed that meant my Bevels also.

Here are the two together without wireframe:

Mesh_eg03.JPG

Maybe it's a bit hard to tell from the above image, but basically without the wireframe, the two models looked the same to me, EXCEPT of course, that the meshes are different.

Where I'm getting stuck most, is that on the correct mesh, there are a lot of triangles, and 6-7 point poles, which I had originally always thought was a bad thing. I think there's a lot of broken edge flows too, but as I'm still a learner, I completely except that I am missing something. On my own mesh, I've made sure the entire model is made up of quads, constant edge flow, and when I add divisions, the polycount is still less than the correct mesh provided.

Closer look below:

Mesh_eg02.JPG

I've been receiving feedback from an industry veteran who's been working for over 10 years, and as I've only been working for 6 months, I am fully aware that I just don't have the experience and knowledge that other people do. So if anyone can help me understand, I would greatly greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Well for one, your model (the grey one) seems to be using meshsmooth in the un-wireframe'd image.

I'm not all that familiar with current-gen modeling techniques but here are my guesses:

-triangulation is used to easily vary the amount of detail the mesh offers, so they can round the corners out without making the whole area denser.
    -they try to keep the lines as straight and technical as possible because of highlights. In your version the highlights close to the corners would have a kink in the highlight.
    -like said before: meshsmooth
    -the points at the front of the hood have a weird diagonal crease, because of your adherance to complete loops, while their softly changes.
    -looking at the meshes themselves you can see that the original has the same style topology as the red version ad your version is rather different.

P.S. - change your material to a very glossy shader to see the differences better.
  • Eric Chadwick
    The second video here should help you visualize what's going on.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/SubdivisionSurfaceModeling

Also, Snader's spot-on about the material (etc. too!)... get a specular on there to help you see what's up.
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snader & Eric!

Snader, I changed the material, and left the normals all hard, and saw a lot of what you meant (images attached). It's especially obvious on model #2.
    For model #3 & #4, I've adjusted the normals to try and mimic the correct mesh, with mesh #4 having more polygons.

I think testing all my mistakes is making more sense.

Eric, thanks again for the link. I had watched it a while ago, but I think some things don't make sense until I'm actually doing it, so I'm going to go back and watch it a few more times to get my head around it.

I think I'm just struggling to get my head around the use of triangles and the "stars" (I think that's what they're called) present on the surface. Ok for hard surface, bad for organic?

I'll keep gleaning the wiki! ^_^

Thanks again guys!
  • Eric Chadwick
    The stars are called poles. You can't avoid poles, but generally you want to place them in flat areas. When a pole is in an area with curvature, it generally will cause a dimple in the surface, when the model is subdivided.

You need to bring your edge loops closer together to make those ridges on the model. Your very first image shows this clearly... the middle mesh has tight edgeloops, while the bottom mesh does not.
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    I never had a chance to thank you for your input, Eric. I posted this image, then was hit with urgent deadline after urgent deadline. I've certainly gotten the hang of different modeling techniques since then.

Thanks again!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Good to hear it, looking forward to seeing your work, someday!