Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Art Test - WIP thread - Female

So many people are doing it, so I wanted to try it out too! Doubtful I'd get noticed compared to the amazing talent of everyone else on this site, but it's still fun to do and it's great practice.

The concept:

Hyojin-Sample-A.jpg

Progress so far: Made a new female base mesh and model and some clothing/armor blocked in.

arenanet_art_test___female___part_a_by_manchestercity-d54ra80.jpg

And...

arenanet_art_test_b_by_manchestercity-d54radw.jpg

Comments, critiques, advice, anything would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to make this into something awesome (or, at least somewhat competent, haha) so any help would be of great use. Thanks for checking it out, and good luck to everyone else doing this! :D

Replies

• Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on her! Adding clothes and tweaking stuff.

arenanet_art_test_c_by_manchestercity-d54vqsi.jpg

Also, a friend gave me some ideas for fixing the face...

tumblr_m65rqx0gue1ruyopco1_500.gif

Moving right along. I'd like to have this done by Friday or earlier. Comments and fwedback are appreciated, and thanks for checking it out!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress! Hoping to finish the high poly soon. Did most of the armor and cloth in Max. Any feedback, ideas, and critiques are greatly appreciated! :D

arenanet_art_test_d_by_stoop__kid-d5624jq.jpg
  • Sojumekju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojumekju polycounter lvl 5
    everything looks good but i gotta say, there is something wrong with her face still.. looks like shes pouting her lips constantly, might be too much digging under the bottom lip, not sure
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sojumekju: Thanks! I've been getting a lot of feedback on the face, and I'll make sure to fix it up. :D

I'll post more updates soon!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates! Worked on the armor/cloth/fur. Almost 75% done the high poly, but I want to finish it regardless. Touched a little on the face, but it's still very janked up. Still miles to go, but it's so much fun! :D

Thanks for checking it out, and feedback is always appreciated!

arenanet_art_test_d_by_stoop__kid-d56zmzk.jpg
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So close to getting done the high poly...

Need to make shoes, something on her back, tweak some things, and make sure the body isn't on subdivision 3, haha. Also must mirror some things. I'm looking forward to making a low poly and texturing now! :D Next update should be a finished high poly!

If anybody else thinks more should be done, please feel free to help. Thanks for looking!

arenanet_art_test_f_by_stoop__kid-d575rvt.jpg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    It's coming along nicely, saw the link on your blog.

I think you could fix some issues with the neck and jawline as it seems a tad bit off. This reference may be of use to you, I hope :)

Also it seems like there are some pinching issues going on on the abdominals, I reckon if you smooth them out it would look rad-er.

Hope that helped dude.
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MrNinjitsu: Thanks! The Tumblr is useful! I'm so happy. :D

I checked out the reference and tried to tweak some things. I also had a friend take a stab at her lacking anatomy and tried to fix up the jaw and the abs. Though it's not as good as I hoped it could be, I think I'll just be wrapping up the high poly soon.

Thanks again! I shall update soon! :D
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess kind of final-ish hi poly. There's always room to go in and touch things up, I suppose, but at this point, I'm looking forward to making a low poly and texturing. :)

arenanet_art_test_g_by_stoop__kid-d57w1v9.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, and feedback is always appreciated!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    There are some anatomy problems and some areas where you need to smooth/refine a bit further. Her cheeks are puffy and you can easily see the area where you used the clay brush to round out the face more. The inside of her elbow is also having a problem it's not connecting right and it also has the same problem with messy brush strokes. Her stomach is another problem area, it was much better in some of your earlier sculpts in terms of muscle placement and definition but right now it seems saggy although it's hard to tell from only a front view. From the closeup of your latest I noticed that your clavicles seem over exaggerated in size a bit.

I think the scaling of the metal details like the plates around the waist and wolf heads is off, they all seem too small to me, if you export them separately it would be easier to resize them once you re-assemble the low poly.

I hopes this helps!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! I think I forgot to hit the reply button. XD

@Alemja: Thanks! I took a break from it for a while and then tried to take another stab at it with all the feedback. I think I'll fix the metal parts in the low poly. :)

Thank you very much for the feedback! :D
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .... I'm not sure if this is necroposting or not.

But anyways! I was hoping to finish this up. I went way over the deadline and I wasn't satisfied with my textures, so I redid most of them. I just want to finish this just for the satisfaction of finishing it. I'm not totally intending to turn it in at this point (she's currently around 7500 tris and 2048 texture size), but I just want to finish it. :)

Progress! Low poly and bake!

ArenaNetArtTest_WIP.jpg

The face is still terrifying, so I'll go and tweak that some more. Currently painting some textures. Hopefully it looks okay in the end. :) Thanks for looking, and any feedback is always appreciated!

P.S. Currently only using diffuse and normal maps.

Also, here's the model on p3d.in:

http://p3d.in/i91DA

I had to crunch the texture sizes down though, so it looks pretty meh.
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArenaNetGirl.jpg

Kind of done-ish. Spending like, 4 hours a week on this... XD Oh well! Progress! I really really want to finish this.

Feedback is always appreciated! :D
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird shading things is dumb. :(

Rendering problems

Halp.jpg
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'm willing to call her done for now. What a fun trip it was. Went waaaaay over the size and limits, but it was pretty fun, so I don't mind. :) Fell free to rip her up!

ANG_PresentationD.jpg

ANG_PresentationC.jpg

ANG_PresentationB.jpg

ANG_PresentationA.jpg