Home Technical Talk

Grass transparency sorting issues

I'm relatively inexperienced in cryengine, so I need help.
I've been working on learning the terrain system in the engine, and I created some grass according to this tutorial in the engine, but I get sorting issues when I enable transparency by changing opacity to 99. My assumption is that I just don't know how to enable transparency properly, but I'm not sure as most of the tutorials I've seen say do that.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Don't use opacity! Opacity creates all sorts of sorting errors, stick with alpha test.
    Leave Opacity at 100, and use the value or 30 or so on AlphaTest.

Also, don't forget to use the Vegetation shader. And open the "Shader Generation Params" tab, and tick "Grass" on, leaving "Leaves" ticked off. But play around with it.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help [HP]. That works, but the problem is that I'm trying to give the grass a really painterly feel (think like this), so I have several very subtle transitions in the grass blades which don't carry over to well when using alpha test. Is Cryengine just not the engine I want to use to achieve something like this?
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I dont think its possible to achieve gradient transparency on grass without getting overlap errors in cryengine.