Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D artist - Portfolio Crits

Hey all

Ok, so this is my old portfolio. I've not updated the game art in a long time as have been working almost all of most days on commercial work. However, it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere with game art so I'd love for you all to rip it to pieces and give me your honest opinions.

Be brutal, be mean and don't pull any of those punches!

http://www.guythomas3dartist.daportfolio.com

Replies

• mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Well you've basically said it already, the architectural renders look great, but the game stuff isn't up the same standard. I'd probably try and make a new game scene, in an engine and make it to the same quality standard as your archi stuff, and I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding work

EDIT: You also might want to consider cutting down some of the text in your CV, and make it more bullet pointy and concise
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Are there any pieces on there that you'd advise taking off?
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darn, I can't see this until I get home. Will be checking this out!
  • Santhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your architectural stuff is awesome man!

I'd take most of the 2d stuff off, if not all. Personally i'm not that good at 2D either, but if your applying for a 3d position you just got to make sure your 3D models have good textures. And I don't think your textures are anywhere near bad.

Also i'd probably do is this:
    - merge 3D general and 3D environments into one "Game art" category.
    - remove all but the first 5 shots from environments. The rest is subpar or unnecessary. Maybe add one breakdown shot with the various props, wires, textures.
    - Render some pretty renders of the vehicles, and keep 1 beauty render and 1 breakdown (wire, texture, orto) for each vehicle.

Then i'd go make a next-gen environment, in a next gen engine, like mr Ace recommended. You seem to do quite well with photorealism, why not try something stylized? Just don't go for anything that's too much in your comfort zone, it'd just make your portfolio samey.

P.S. Maybe move your portfolio to guythomas.net, thats just nitpicking obviously but i like a clean url :P
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting in the night scenes seems odd to me. its mostly little pools of light around lamps or other light sources, and it seems to downplay things that would be major sources of ambient light. I'd expect a bigger contribution from the fires in the ww2 scenes and the surrounding buildings and pool in the rooftop scene.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I don't feel qualified to give you advice, but I do like it!
  • Nasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nasser polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, your commercial art section is definitely the strongest part, it's quite impressive. Whereas the 2D section is probably your weakest and should probably be removed. It's always about showing the best of your work, not all of it.

And I agree with Santhem on condensing the two 3D sections into one, people want to see your art as soon as they load up your site.