Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Amy Buttress - Environment Artist

Hi!
Looking for some feedback on my portfolio, both the site and my art - http://amy.buttress.me.uk/

Been a tester but looking to get a job doing 3d art, preferably environment art. I know I need more work in my portfolio...what should I be working on? Small individual pieces or a big scene?

Thanks a lot :)

Replies

• nicocabbalero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
    hi, either the link to your site or the site do not work :/ edit never mind it works now
  • Lou6479
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works for me and a friend... try again?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loads fine for me. I would say you need a brighter colour for the text and maybe a background that's not quite as dark. It makes some things hard to read particularly the longer stuff on the CV.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tihihihi Buttres :D But seriously im not a huge fan of the first scene. The crossbow is great. A big nono for me is to have black background with really dark scenes. Makes it really hard to see anything.

I like the layout of the page, simple and straight foreward.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I'd like to see the crossbow first, as it's your strongest piece.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the crossbow is sick
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Hello, I'm going to be honest, my issue with the building is that the lines are all very square and perpendicular. Sure the textures have graffiti on them but the environment itself doesn't look like anyone's touched it. Maybe you could alter some of the geometry to reflect that this place is run down in the seedy part of the area.

Also, in order to add some depth perhaps you could allow the viewer to see inside the building from the windows. It doesn't have to be an entire interior, you could hint of what's inside by having a small crack in the blinds/curtains somewhere.

Also there is almost 0% probability that a place like that would have its entire sign(s) working in perfect order. Also liquor stores, doughnut shops, and barber shops, tatoo parlors places like that usually have those, "come on in, we're open / sorry, we're closed" signs in the window in my experience. Some litter on the street etc could help.

As for the weapon, it seems as if you use procedural textures at least to me from a distance. I would recommend watching Millenia's shotgun tutorial (link's in my sig) for info on how you can improve on that.

hope that helps
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Never ever render on black background for a portfolio.

As Pancakes said push that crossbow texture/shader.
  • Lou6479
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. The renders are screen prints from 'game view' mode in UDK. Is that a good way to do it? What would be the best way to get a uniform grey background for my work? Everyone thinks black is a big nono so I'm guessing grey is the best choice?

Thanks poly121.gif
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    The mailbox in "Building" is nice but it doesn't read as though it is sitting on the ground. Maybe bake a light map onto the ground or have some occlusion. Also, add some dirt/litter along the edge where the walls meet the ground. It is quite a hard line at the moment.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    As pointed out never use black. The reason is it makes it hard to make out the shape of an object. You are going in the right direction though by having the images all on one page so good job.

Art wise you obviously need more. What kills you is your presentation. I would replace your images with the full size version. They are being resized on my screen and thus appear slightly blurry. It kills it for me because it makes me think you rendered it in 3DS max in default settings. Amazing how it can do that right?

But overall it's your lack of content that doesn't help. But god damn you've got experience so that helps a ton. I've hardly got any ;)

So checklist for you to work towards:

1. Edit website so that it doesn't use a black background. White is good but some people hate that too. Why not add some of your own charm to it. Maybe you're not a web designer? Neither am I but I was still able to make a mock up in Photoshop and begged the internet to help me and voila.

2. Re-render your images on a grey background. I'm not tooting my horn but I like the grey I use on my site. It's the default UDK grey.

3. Depending on what you change your site into, make your name and the rest of the font clearer. White for example or black.

CV is good. You've kept within 2 pages which is good. Only crit is make the titles of each role more bolded or underlined. Just something to help break it up. Again not going to toot my horn but I borrowed my CV from a professional job hunter and edited it based on other cv's on Polycount. Might be useful to compare.

Hope that helps.