Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted final

Hey guys!

First post here.. I've been a lurker. I've got a hand painted texture assignment from school that I'm trying to finish up this weekend and I wanted to get some opinions. Hand painted textures are not my thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Here are the assignment details with a few pics of my progress so far:

...There must be a minimum of 3 of the following surfaces on the prop:
Wood
Metal
Stone
Cloth
Foliage

I need to tell a story with this fella as well. I'm thinking an old western barrel. I'm going to put more bullet holes and maybe hang a wanted sign on it, thoughts? The prop was provided for the assignment.

*edit* oops. :)

If I can get a 100% on this assignment I will pass this class with an A+!

Thanks,
Tony.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    diversify the colours in the wood, use some deep reds and some bright yellows.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    You've clearly used a lot of reference for the painting so far. Would is hard to get right and I think you nailed it. However, the colours are incredibly bland and really detract from it. Like the Almighty Gir said, throw in some reds and yellows, and even some blues for the shadows
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should have stated that the coloring is just a block out. I am going to go back over it and paint the color when I get all the values nailed down.

I suppose I should also state that we are only allowed to use brushes and blending modes. No filters and no images. Everything has to be hand painted.

Here is a quick update:

Polycount_04.jpg

Thanks again!
    Tony.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far, though I'd like to see some color! Also the barrel itself could be a bit taller.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks switz. I completely agree that the barrel could be taller! I'm not allowed to change the geo though, because this is an assignment for school.

I will definitely need help with the colors when I get to that point.. hopefully by tomorrow I will be posting pics in color!

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
    Tony.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    They probably just don't want you to add more geo; I don't see how changing the proportions would matter but alrighty! Looking forward to more.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update and I'm off to bed.

Polycount_05.jpg

Is the cork working? My teacher said it looks too noisy, any suggestions on how to make it look better?

Any crits would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Tony.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    you could make it also out of wood texture and spin it about 45 degrees so it stands out.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Really like the level of detail you got, tho i think that the bullet holes are unrealistic,i think wood would break allot more around the holes. And about the cork i might would have the noise scale a bit bigger and maybe less sharp and also i think that the lightening on the cork looks a litlle like metal. :) But otherwise looks great.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I strongly suggest you paint in color. If you want to 'hand-paint' it you need to put in the work. Adding color overlay at the end only gives you value changes, no interesting color shifts.

The beauty of hand-painting textures is all the tiny mistakes and imperfections you get from painting; the interesting colors that come from just trying things.

it looks like you used some soft of filter to get a woodgrain effect. This is killing it.

you've put highlights on the top of the bullet-holes, which makes them look like they're extruding out. cork is perfectly round and way too noisy. add some slight shadowing at the top and bottom for some depth.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 - That's not a bad idea. I might try that if I keep the cork.

S_ource - thanks! I looked up reference for the bullet holes and you are completely right. The wood would chip and break around the holes, not just be punched straight through. Thanks for the help. And the cork does look a bit metallic, so I'll change that as well.

Sectaurs - I didn't use a filter on the wood, but I know what you are talking about. I created small streaks in black and white and set that layer to overlay (like creating noise and adding a motion blur). I will remove that layer and see if that helps. The bullet holes do look like their popping out (oops) and I'm planning on using this tut to help paint on top of this grayscale version:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/store_catalog/1301072740977.html

Should be the exact effect you are talking about with color changes and imperfections, but I don't have to worry about the value changes because I've already taken care of that.

I'm new to hand painting textures and using the color picker was killing me, so I'm testing out this method. I guess everyone will see if it works out or if I fail completely! Either way, it should be entertaining for others.. hah.

Thanks again for all the crits guys! I'm going to go make changes now.
    Tony.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    There's nothing wrong with hand painting in grey scale first just to get the values down. But you need to do more than just add a color overlay. It would help to actually paint over with colors and use the grey scale as a guide for values.

People also paint over Ambient Occlusion maps from a high poly mesh as a guide to help get the values right as well.

I'm sure that tutorial will help.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tobbo, I hope so! I would hate to get all my values down and just end up with a colory mess.. we'll see.
    Another update here:
    Polycount_06.jpg

I finally picked a theme (or story) for the barrel and I'm going with pirate booty! I guess I'm also feeling adventurous, because I added cloth into the mix (HELP!) which will have a pirate skull on it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help so far!
    Tony.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I've got to say... this model isn't very conductive to good art. Nothing you can do about it, but it's kind of a pity to see all this effort go to waste on a weirdly proportioned basic primitive. =(

Liking your material treatment so far (but it might be a good idea to experiment with some colors already) but your volumes need work. Add some AO on and around the ropes, on the inside of the barrel and on the overlapping coins.

It might also be an idea to have a closed barrel with one or two broken planks on top to show the coins (like having a hole in the top), yet have a sensible explanation for the flat silhouette, and because transporting coins in an open barrel doesn't seem like an intelligent idea =P.

Lastly, I don't quite understand why you have ropes on the bottom and a metal ring around the top. It would make more sense to have a hoop on top and bottom, and then have the rope tied around the middle (perhaps a plank is cracking and the rope holds everything together?).
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I think you need to add more polys, slight depth to the inside, and make the cork stick out, Doesnt look like a cork, and why is it black and white? Also It started as western I thought. Pirates?
    Idk that rope is odd.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader - great crits! Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Polycount_07.jpg

I'm going to pick my pallet tonight and get some color going. Is the cloth working? I think the text is all jacked up on it..

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the color is to yellow if its supposed to be gold.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I like where this is headed. For the op of the barrel where the wood is breaking, the middle broken piece (the larger chunk of it), needs to be more broken. It looks like it is just a piece of like drift wood worn down by the elements instead of being broken. I think you should also add another smaller opening somewhere on the top panels as well to show a little bit more of the gold, probably somewhere in the top right. As for the cloth, I really like it. I feel the text is pretty good as well, but you should make it look more like they had a coarse brush. Right now it looks too perfect to be painted on like it would have been back in that era. This assignment is awesome and I feel you have done an awesome job so far. As others have said, painting in color is a really good way to get solid "hand painted" feel to the textures. having all of the mess ups, all the accidental paint overlaps and missed strokes give it that painterly feel, you are too worried about making it perfect. Hand painted textures are supposed to be fun and tell a story by themselves. As a whole though, this is awesome, definitely made the best of the geo given, and I really like your rope youve painted, it tiles extremely well. Your textures read well, just dont be afraid to push the limits and try something new. Thats what handpainting is all about! Good job so far, will definitely be following your progress
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    You could probably save texture space by using a small chunk of tiling rope and using the save boards over and over, but flipped and turned. It will also save you the pain of having to hand paint a long length of the same rope or repetitive boards.

The top and bottom of the barrel could also be the same, but if you want the coins peaking out, you could have that section be its own UV island. That way you could get the best resolution for all the work you put into the textures.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    moosebish - I have the gut feeling they aren't allowed to change the UV layout either.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource - It's funny when you think something looks good and than come to find out you are WAY off! Thanks for the tip on the gold.. hopefully this is better.

Add3r - thanks for the encouragement. I definitely appreciated your input and made the appropriate changes. I took the scene from the Shining 'here's Johnny!' as reference for my new smashed up wood. What do you think? I might add a few more axe cuts like someone 'really' wanted to get in there! And you nailed it - I'm a perfectionist and I need to let that go.. you guys would probably get upset with me if you saw my ps file.. I've got layers and masks galore! <- Don't hate. :)

Moosebish - and I thought I was being creative by repeating 4 or 6 planks.. I never even thought of that! dang it! This is due Monday, so it's a bit late to redo, but thanks for the tip. I will put that into practice next go-around.

We had to create our own UV layout for this.

Update:
    Polycount_08.jpg

This is just a first pass of color. So far I've heard add reds, yellows and blues into the wood. What about the cloth and rope?

Thanks everyone for the support! I'm actually enjoying hand painting when I didn't think I would.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Since you can't fake the volume of the ropes, or model them yourself it might be better to make them a little thinner. Right now they really seem like painted-on large ropes, since they don't have volume in the profile.
    Otherwise very cool stuff. Looking forward to where you'll take it with the colours!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Color looks better but i think it may be a bit to desaturated. Check up some gold image and color sample to see the difference between your color and the image, you don't need to use color from images (i have heard and also thinks that its better to practice picking colors yourself but i also think its good training to get some from images and look at them, then try to remember what kind of colors some things have and then try to mix them yourself).

I used to have large ps files with large amount of layers but i got so confussed sometime when not finding layers and not knowing what all layers where so i try working on as few layers as i can now.:)
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    in my opinion the coins don't fit the style and they also look like a combination of a poker chip design and the back/primer of a bullet shell. I think they are over detailed compared to the sort of painterly stylized wood. Also i think you need to angle the coins, right now they're all facing perfectly up, looking very CG-ish. Here is an example of a pile of coins. They are angled in all directions, but tend to clump in small stacks as well. I love the wood though, nice work.

9xfpu.jpg
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir - Thanks! I was thinking that, but for some reason didn't change it. Faking something like rope on a flat surface is definitely a challenge. I probably need more AO to make it convincing, what do you think?

S_ource - My teacher said the same thing.. more saturation! I tweaked the gold coloring, but coots7 and my teacher both mentioned that the style doesn't fit.. so I will be redoing them completely. What do you think of the new base color though.. closeer?

coots7 - I agree. They didn't turn out the way I wanted so I'll be redoing them. I'm going to keep them a bit more simple and the coloring should explain what they are pretty easily.

Here is an update:
    Polycount_09.jpg

Mainly updated the wood coloring. I'm trying to add the reds, yellows and blues in subtly. Not really sure what else to do with it at this point. I'm moving on to the tops of the wood planks, metal and gold coins now. After that, I will tweak the cloth.

Thanks again for the help everyone!
    Tony.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its coming along nicely, and the colors looks better now, good work. :)
  • Magnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along pretty well! I think the nails on the cloth look a bit strange, though. If you had the nails at 45 degree angles (with variety, naturally) it might help. Maybe angle the heads of the nails up slightly and the bottoms down, so as to give a slight illusion of more perspective? Hope that makes sense. Right now it's a little to uniform and slightly flat when on the actual model, I think.

Digging the progress, though. It reminds me of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons, slightly.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magnas - thanks for the crit. This is due tomorrow night, so if I get time I will tweak the nails.

Here is an update:
    Polycount_10.jpg

Major saturation push. I finished the wood and tweaked the gold a reasonable amount. I don't think I have time to redo it and with the 'bloom' style effect hopefully I wont need to.

Any more last minute crits would be superb! I still need to mirror some wood to the bottom and figure out colors for the rope.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Rope update and I think I'm pretty much done. I'll go back and make some minor changes in a bit. Just wanted to get an idea of what everyone thinks.

Polycount_11.jpg

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I don't really dig the blue metal, the rest looks really stylish but appealing and detailed, i like it :D
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, well that ended up being my final and I got a 92% on it! That works for me. :) Now I'm off to create a scifi level in a month! It just doesn't stop.....

Here is my level progress:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101307

Thanks to everyone that helped me out on this. My texturing skills went from here:
    AnthonyMann_HandPainted_Final.jpg

To here:
    Polycount_11.jpg

In a week. - Thanks Polycounters!