Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Modular Medieval inspired scene

Hi guys, I've been browsing these forums for a long time throughout my last couple of years of education - finally I feel able to contribute! This is my first scene using UDK.

This is a scene made for my final project of my degree, all the buildings are modular and put together in UDK. My initial idea was to create a medieval style scene with a hint of menace or a sense that something strange was going on. I feel I lost a bit of this with my final compilation, there are a couple of assets which will make the viewer think - but this is definitely something I could explore further!

Anyway; everything except the foliage and fountain are on 2 2048 texture sheets. I made everything except for the skybox.

f99e0f9b809d369f33d637370e423b49.jpg

290728d02607a5c9bf3b2bd8c0989375.jpg

2e8aa2fa3991337dfa0eda6a18d564fe.jpg

b7e23b6f2fcd0c598bc369747b0bdf6b.jpg

d4fbc3d5be5486864ce36cca6810c300.jpg

f1a3b6c7fa35aed7aa79cb083adf8449.jpg

d7d6fcdd79a3a3574d5f7b079d6d1799.jpg

26f8f44cff547d75a432fcaebaeade13.jpg

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Replies

• Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    As a medieval place I think the streets are a bit too clean. It's just a matter of personal taste though. The models and lighting of the scene look very nice!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, man! I'm seeing a lot of 3D Motive in here, amirite? :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good effort, some crits: the street or floor texture does seem rather bare, more like a wall texture or something, I would have expected cobblestones or something brown and gritty for the floor. The scene doesnt seem to have any normal maps or specular or they just arent showing because of the flat lighting?
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice!

I also think that everything is too clean and perfect. Even if this village would've been build like at the same day, i think there would be mud, little rocks, dust, moss etc. But yeah, maybe that's just a matter of taste.

One more thing i would crit are the roofs. In my opinion the floor-, wall- and rooftexture have nearly the same colors, they also look kinda the same. So what i want to say is that the roof tiles like nearly the same as the floor/walls.. i would add some variation (maybe red/brown tiles for example).

But nice work! ;)
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    So far it looks quite cool, a general thing maybe it's with the unreal engine but everything done in the engine always seems way too bright and saturated. You would expect streets lit by candles and stuff to look way darker and grittier. Thats no critic on your work which looks fine it's generally about the way lightning looks.
    Can you give us a little Screen of your moduls?
  • Divinations
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

One note about the lighting, I have had to make it significantly brighter in order to display it at my place of study for various reasons. I think darker lighting would definitely make it stand out more, and bring out the normal/spec maps that Ged mentioned aren't as prevalent as they maybe should be. I will work on that.

I agree that some more grit and grime would liven things up, if I went down this route I would likely redo a lot of the textures - as at the minute the look is generally very clean.