Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polyviewer, a model viewer for android

Replies

• jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    i just installed the updated version via google play and apparently its not even loading the ui anymore i keep getting the same error though....

"The application Polyviewer (process com.fusedresistance.polyviewer) has stopped unexpectedly . Please try again"

im running 2.2.1. and kernel version 2.6.32.9 on a sidekick 4g incase you were interested :P
    Its interesting cause on the google play website it says my phones compatible but on thee actual phone that happens :/
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I'm getting the same crash upon launch as Jermaine. Hardly a big surprise though, my phone seems to just hate this app. :(
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, there's some crash issues I to resolve still. it's just absolutely fucking difficult to handle these edge cases
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks so much Keg!
    I was actually thinking of trying to take on making my own model viewer for Android because I've been wanting one so bad.
    Yours is awesome and way better than I expected to have on my phone!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    PLease implement this into the Polycount page,
    how awesome would this be ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I get an instant crash on a t-mobile lg g2x, running android 2.3.4
  • c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    I couldn't run it on any 2.3.x (CM7) build. After upgrading to cm9/10 it works fine. I'm using Motorola Defy.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    In on a Samsung Galaxy SIII, running fine on my end. The app that is, haven't tried opening a mesh file yet, will do so later. Grats on the release!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    updated with a fix that should help stop the crashing for most users
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fixed my issues, thanks :)
  • Beats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    Installed this today, tried everything to figure out the obj export settings for Maya to make this work as I kept getting a crash when loading the mesh. Then I read an early post about exporting from Max. No issues now! :)
    I've been after a decent model viewer for mobile for some time, awesome work Keg!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    This is gonna be amazing on my Nexus 7!!!

Downloading the paid version now!
  • jbh3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbh3d polycounter lvl 9
    Any support for the Kindle Fire? I have an app I currently use, but it only supports diffuse maps, and doesn't have all the extra features this app has.

Edit: I got it working to the point of being able to select a file, but it ends with a 'stopped unexpectedly' messages. I'll try to figure out why.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I want an android phone just for this. If you made it on iPad, I'd give you my money.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    beats, what was the solution you had? I'd like to add some support details to the website so info is always welcome.

tristamus, sadly there's a couple problems with putting this app on the ipad/iphone. I'd need an apple laptop/desktop and an ipad or iphone to test things out. Currently that $1500 or so expense is very prohibitive to any development.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Keg,
    I just downloaded it here are my results/thoughts.

Interface Issues
    • You have the UK/US color and colour in the color menu.
    • You say press color to choose, which can be confusing. Does one press the name color or the color on the side?
    • If Wireframe can only be supported alone, it should auto disable the other options. In any case, made no effect when selected (Gingerbread).
    • Does not work with built in menu/option button on most android devices. Which breaks the consistency of the android interface across programs.
    • Icon is somewhat lost in a busy background. Give it a full background versus just a letter. Suggestion, your box icon in a square.

Enhancement Ideas
    • A momentum turn option would be great as turning the object and it slowly spins down based on speed of finger swipe when released.
    • Screenshot capture be great
    • Another mode for naming using following to make it faster to get objects in and without having to make long texture names. *.D.jpg (diffuse) .S.jpg (specular) etc. I.E. Just use a dot to separate the texture name and then the first letter of what shader the texture is.
    • Option to move the Axis center on larger objects. Maybe based on closest point when someone chooses such an option. So choose the move axis button. Touch on object close to where want rotation. Axis locks to closest point to touched area.
    • Maybe was present, but lock lights to camera option.
    • Default light angled initially to keep from full on white specular on object when opened at first.
    • Ability to move program to your sd card.

With your crashing issues, are the google crash reports helping any? Curious how useful that feature really is for developers.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Hey Keg,
    I just downloaded it here are my results/thoughts.

Interface Issues
    • You have the UK/US color and colour in the color menu.
    • You say press color to choose, which can be confusing. Does one press the name color or the color on the side?
    • If Wireframe can only be supported alone, it should auto disable the other options. In any case, made no effect when selected (Gingerbread).
    • Does not work with built in menu/option button on most android devices. Which breaks the consistency of the android interface across programs.
    • Icon is somewhat lost in a busy background. Give it a full background versus just a letter. Suggestion, your box icon in a square.

Enhancement Ideas
    • A momentum turn option would be great as turning the object and it slowly spins down based on speed of finger swipe when released.
    • Screenshot capture be great
    • Another mode for naming using following to make it faster to get objects in and without having to make long texture names. *.D.jpg (diffuse) .S.jpg (specular) etc. I.E. Just use a dot to separate the texture name and then the first letter of what shader the texture is.
    • Option to move the Axis center on larger objects. Maybe based on closest point when someone chooses such an option. So choose the move axis button. Touch on object close to where want rotation. Axis locks to closest point to touched area.
    • Maybe was present, but lock lights to camera option.
    • Default light angled initially to keep from full on white specular on object when opened at first.
    • Ability to move program to your sd card.

With your crashing issues, are the google crash reports helping any? Curious how useful that feature really is for developers.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea the google crash reports help immensely.

Excellent points, not going to really touch on any of them yet as they're all good points to fix/add
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    just tried it on my samsung gt15500 (small phone, i know) ..it works, but the screen res or something is messed up. looks like interlaced resolution on lsd, with all crazy colors pinks and yellows etc...and i don't even DO drugs! :)
  • Beats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    I basically re-exported a basic cube several times from Maya using every possible obj options. It would crash each time unless I un-checked export normals, which would just give me a blank screen.

I used the default obj export settings from Max, but checked 'Triangulate' and it worked no problem.

But now I have another issue......

Using the free version I was then able to add folders no issues. I then got the paid app and when clicking 'View Models' nothing happens. So I'm unable to load any models into the paid app, the free version is still working no issues. I've tried uninstalling the free version, didn't solve it.

Does the polyviewer folder need to be located somewhere specific? I'm using a samsung galaxy s3 btw.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Aga22, Not good to hear, I'll look into that and might contact you at some point with a test version to try out before I release the update online (no point releasing an update that I have no clue if it does anything helpful)

Beats, the folder shouldn't matter much. generally based off the windows view I search for a folder named polyviewer either in the root folder or in the data sub folder. (should look like mnt/sdcard/polyviewer or mnt/sdcard/data/polyviewer if looked at from file explorer on android). I'm not sure why what works on the free doesn't work on the paid, everything there has worked for me on my S2. I'll look into some stuff though.

Yea I need to update the website and in-app help to specify triangulation is recommended, quads should work as well though.

Oxy,

1. The colour picker I'm replacing since it's one I found online and am not happy with actually. As for the colour vs color. I'm canadian and colour just feel natural to me so that's how it'll stay and I'll be working on making that consistent through-out.

2. Wireframe should overlay anything, if it isn't, I guess there's an issue or two I need to sort out still.

3. Icon, I have to agree and I think I'll switch things up next update.

4. Menu's need fixing, yup

5. The camera velocity I shall add, I didn't think of that idea.

6. screenshot I'm iffy on since from ICS onwards it's built into android, but since previous versions don't, I'll toss in an option to capture

7. Naming details, done and should be in the next update

8. currently the camera defaults to focus to the mid point of the mesh. adding the option to select a focus point I can see adding in a future update, it's not an immediate priority

9. locking the light to the camera, default light angle and move to sd card should all be added before long
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Just sent an update to the market.

Version 1.0.2 updates:
    - changed default light preset value to a downward facing direction (may require re-install or going to the options)
    - move to sdcard option added
    - new icon
    - fixed crashing when selecting default texture setup in the options
    - fixed database crashes
    - fixed crash on creation of an opengl view

Next update will include a replaced colour picker among other tweaks.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried the newest release and still have the same problem as last time. Can access the app and read the help menu, but i get a force close whenever i try to load a model.

Galaxy s2 BUT it is rooted?
  • AbominableSoul
    Hey Keg, im gonna get this app, samsung galaxy s3, newest os, free version. ill let you know ifi have any problems with it.
    from what ive seen, good work man!

how long did it take you to program this?

as a programmer/artist guy, id love to know how you did it :D
  • Beats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    AbominableSoul - You had any issue on the s3? The free version locates the polyviewer folder no issues and works like a dream. The paid version on my s3 wont find the polyviewer folder at all.

Any ideas Keg? I've tried placing the file in several locations. Didnt expect that would work tho as I'm having no problems with the free version.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance implementing more options?
    • Cubemap reflections
    • Gloss support, texture or slider
    • texture loading :pop up: for being able to switch/load textures on the fly
    • Half lambert shading
    • Model outlines

Currently, specular is too sharp, surfaces are wet like, not very realistic

Bought the pro version to show the support, if these would be implemented it would be killer app
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New version is out, updates included are:
    • camera light option
    • new colour picker
    • couple tweaks to hopefully prevent a instances of crashing.

Beats, No clue what's going on. I'll try and look into it some more.

Lachtan, the alpha channel on the specular channel controls the roughness of the specular channel. I'll probably add a default value setting at some point. Cubemaps are planned, half-lambert is a good idea to add. texture loading though I'm not sure about. I have trouble seeing many cases where that would be used often enough to justify the potential extra complexity. As for model outlines, do you mean a silhouette setup (possible just be turning off all lights) or more of an edge detection cell shaded outline setup?

AbominableSoul, Can't really say 100% how long it took, I'd say about 4 months on and off. How I did it isn't complicated in my mind, it's just an obj loader, opengl viewport, some opengl shaders and setting up the interface so components can interact accordingly.

iWerez, Hmmm not sure there, might be due to being rooted. Having a little trouble seeing where that might cause an issue, but I'm looking into it.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...more of an outline shader, yeah, to preview some stylized models, would be nice.

Well, I'm looking forward for new features, cubemaps will be sick!