Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Black Cat Redesign

So, i've recently started on a project to redesign Spider-man's Black Cat. I was inspired by this redesign by H

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    It's turning out really nice so far.
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks. I'll try to keep posting regular updates
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Looks solid so far!
    Im curious about how you're decisions on her chest though. Why did you choose to unzip it again? I think one of the most interesting things about the concept is that it kept her zipped up, especially considering how Black Cat.
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Love it, The hands might be a bit larger than the concept though.
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions and feedback guys.

As for the cleavage...I went back and forth on this one for awhile. I decided to go with cleavage for a couple reasons. Mainly, because its kind of a black cat Trademark (I am however going to have a semi-transparent shirt on covering it up a little).
    Obviously she can be done without it such as in this concept, but I feel that it helps identify her. Also, I wanted to add details, such as a diamond studded choker, and a fancy lace bra, which would have been covered up with the closed coat.

As for the hands...ya they're kinda big. I haven't done much work on them yet, so I'll tweak them a little.
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple more shots from working on her jacket.

JacketWork1.jpg
    JacketWork2.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome job so far, I'm digging the design and execution. My only minor crit would be that you should maybe smooth out her face between the nasolabial furrow and bottom of her cheekbone because right now it look like they are connected and makes her seem old.
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done alot since my last update. The hair is just a place holder for now.

I need to make a cool belt buckle for her. Any suggestions?

WIP_1.jpg

WIP_2.jpg

WIP_3.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! I was surprised to see that you update this (and that I was the last poster).

I think for the belt buckle something round would be cool, or maybe the same shape as her zipper. It should be bright to give the eyes something else to jump to.

It seems like right now between the big chest tattoo and the undershirt that she's being robbed of her cleavage. That whole area seems very flattened out. I can't really make out any of the normal mapped detail or boob shapes. It reminds me of the chest on a Sims or Second Life character. It looks like the shirt is a separate plane with the color and bra textured on to it (just guessing). I think it would look better if you added the shirt on the highpoly all clingy and retopo'd it as one piece then baked. It would maybe also work to remove it all together. I like how the high poly shots look with just the bra beneath the suit.

Looking forward to more. Cheers.
  • Malarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the leather jacket with the tiger on the back and the tattoos. It's not something you see on other "catwoman redesigns". I think it adds character to your... err.. character. But i agree with frump about the flattening out. maybe smaller or less invasive tattoos. Also right now the pants and jacket seem a bit plain, they're not cut particularly interesting and there are no real pockets or zippers to segment off the silhouette.
    Its a great looking render though.
    datass.jpg
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Malarchy and Frump. I've been going back and forth on the shirt. I know what you mean by the flattening out. I think once I have a real lighting setup, it will be ok. I think the shirt is also hiding alot of the form. As for the jacket. It's going to get more interesting.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks cool. Just remove the shirt ^^. The necklace was better on the sculpt too. And the glasses were a lot more interesting on the concept, I know it's just an inspiration source but you could be closer.