Home Unreal Engine

Problem with Cube Map Reflection

murlo-k
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
murlo-k polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I'm having some problems with cube map reflections in udk, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I figure a picture of what is happening will help:

screenshot2ya.jpg

As you can see, the reflection is repeating in each piece of glass.

Here is my material setup:

screenshot1rb.jpg

I have tried redoing the material from scratch to see if I missed something... the material preview in the material setup window indicates no problem, but when I load the material to its mesh the reflection repeats

The uvs for each glass piece are all separate (Im not repeating them in a single texture)... so I don't think thats the problem.

Also, I'm using Windows Xp so I don't think UDK is trying to render in DX11.

I've also tried experimenting with different Vector Transform settings with no success...

Well, if you guys require any more info to be able to help me out please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    Reflection vector accounts for your normals, if you're curving the glass inward the visual effect your getting makes sense as it's realistic.

Remove your normal map and see if it does the same thing. If that doesn't fix it I'm tempted to put money on the fact your glass has a smooth edge with the frame, create a hard crease between the glass edges and the frame (smoothing groups, hard edges, separate mesh whatever tickles your fancy)
  • murlo-k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    murlo-k polycounter lvl 7
    Reflection vector accounts for your normals, if you're curving the glass inward the visual effect your getting makes sense as it's realistic.

Remove your normal map and see if it does the same thing. If that doesn't fix it I'm tempted to put money on the fact your glass has a smooth edge with the frame, create a hard crease between the glass edges and the frame (smoothing groups, hard edges, separate mesh whatever tickles your fancy)

Thanks for the reply Angry Beaver.

All my glass meshes have hard edges, what ended up doing the trick was just grouping all glass meshes to the same smoothing group...

And pardon my ignorance... but I don't understand why that fixed the problem.
  • Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    because of how it was computing the normals I think. That doesn't sound like it should of fixed the problem but I can see how it might of despite it not making very much sense. As the faces were in the same group it evened out the reflection surface and now the surface was flatter because it sampled a wider area you stopped getting spoon like reflections and it gave you a proper flat surface reflection.

What gets me though is why that was an issue, because if you had hard edges it shouldn't of mattered... *shrug*