Home Unreal Engine

Shadow Blotchy, blurry, Artifact

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi, I know this has been asked several time and for all different solution :D. Ok So i have plain white (sci fi med lab/ Research Facility) style walls. I have added subtle dust dirt all over on texture to make it not look super white, i would say the colour is more like off white (cream).

The reason i mention about colour is that i read somehere on forum that UDK has issue with clean textures or surfaces, and yes i would agree as my issue is gone once i apply my same texture with lots of details added on. I am using 1 1024 sheet for modular purpose.

So any ideas how one would have nice clean old looking plain white metal walls in UDK, I can live with chaning the colours and have more details on mesh :D BUT for some reason my head is kinda at work with UDK, as to why should i surrended to its issues when i know people have made nice clean plain metailic surfaces with nice shadows.

I can post pics too, but i assume it is a very well known issue in community.

NOTE: I am not into issue which is Before lightbake all nice sharp shadow after bake its all messed up ( this is solved bu increasing Cascading Whole secen dynamic radius to about 3500 in light property). Mine is on plain white Metalic surface with above settings. :)

(sorry if i explain too much, English not my language)

Cheers

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    So what's the lightmap resolution of the static mesh? And have you properly UV mapped the 2nd channel?
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its 32 to 256, tried that. Yes Lightmaps are already sorted out in UV2 :).
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should jump from some building, i test with other white area of my texture and both some how magically showing no blurry shadows..... argh. But if you look in inward extrude area on left top side, you can get the idea this was the issue on flat white areas in much stronger contrast, its still not clean but i can live with it as UDK is broken :D.

Now i ran into this other issue, mirroring inside UDK. one is light and other dark ARGH!!

I have done both transfroms and rotate 180 both end up same. My normals are already -y (green channel) and are independent from meshes. So normal and specular seam is not the issue here. If you know what i mean.

However the right side (not visible in pic) show no such issue where indirect light hits :/. SO what the :/ is going on .

im on OCt 2011 build.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm turning of Normal in Material made it go away. oO Sooo what is going on still as Normal map is like a texture i made and not depends on high poly meshes. This is just getting better and better.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i combined the mesh in 3Ds max, placed light map properly again no inverted etc etc. This is what i get still oO :poly122:
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, inverting Y channel i did b4 exporting texture (normal) and i did now no effect. However i change settings of NDo to flip y and applied it. Problem gone both Transform wise and rotating 180 degress. oO SO why did Photoshops inverting Y didnt work oO. Please shoot me someone. :D