Home General Discussion

Zbrush Dynamesh to Maya workflow?

justifun
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
justifun polycounter lvl 4
What's a recommended workflow for exporting a dynamesh that has polypaint on it, over to maya. How do you drop it down to a lower resolution or are you supposed to re topologize it first? Also how do you export the poly paint into a texture?

Thanks

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I would retopo it, I would never use dynamesh for animation.
    as for the polypaint you would need to UV the model, and bake the polypaint to UV space.

things like this can be tedious, so best lookup tutorials.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the model has UV's you can use the Multi-Map exporter in zbrush (under plugins) to create a texture for it.
    You can lower the dynamesh resolution but you'd probably be better off retopo-ing.
    Zbrush Central has plenty of tutorials
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    give it AUV or GUV tiles for UVs in Zbrush ---> export this mesh and the maps as the hi-poly mesh (see Zbrush central for tutorials) ---> either re-topo or export your lowest poly mesh and UV the mesh using Max/Maya/XSI ect, then export---> then combine the 2 in Xnormal (free program), add low poly mesh in the low poly section of Xnormal, hi poly to high poly section, choose which maps you want, then bake!

There used to be a tutorial which I perosnaly found helpful on Youtube, but I cannot seem to find it, will post back later when I do.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    justifun wrote: »
    What's a recommended workflow for exporting a dynamesh that has polypaint on it, over to maya. How do you drop it down to a lower resolution or are you supposed to re topologize it first? Also how do you export the poly paint into a texture?

Thanks

You never polypaint the dynamesh. You retopo it, project the dynamesh to the retopoed mesh, make few adjustments and then when you are happy with it, polypaint it.

Now if you are using xnormal, you need not export the GUV textures to the 3d modeling tool with the decimated mesh etc.

You can just export the polypainted mesh out and then import it in to xnormal after you re-topo it and create the UV layouts of the retopoed mesh. (NOTE: Xnormal will not display the high res mesh but it will make the UVs for your low res as per its UV layouts.)

EDIT: Infact you know what? You can just skip the retopoed mesh and just try the same thing with Dynamesh after creating the lower res mesh of it. Make sure that both of them are aligned and you have unwrapped the lower res before importing both to xnormal. You may need to clean up the texture maps tho.