Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Selene (Elf Girl WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ryu-Gi polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, I finally decided to join this forum I've been hearing so much about, hoping to get some REAL critiques from real artists in the field I want to enter.

I've been working on this model for a lot longer then I should have, lol. I'm finally at the stage where I'd like to start applying stuff like normal maps and etc. I do need some help figuring out good ways to generate those types of maps, though. I bought Crazybump but organic stuff doesn't seem to agree with it very well, especially since I'm using Maya 2010.

The model is meant to be for a Current-Generation game. She's currently at 15,399 polys.

update_6_15_2012.jpg

update_6_15_2012_2.jpg

update_6_15_2012_3.jpg

comments? Critiques? Stuff I can improve upon? Helpful tips on how to produce good normal/spec maps?

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Good job overall, though the whole thing looks reasonable, I would suggest stylizing a few parts more, there are a lot of areas that seem uninteresting but yet have potential to be rally cool, like the shoes: they have no real 'shoe' shape. They seem like she has subway sandwiches for feet. Great job on the posterior, though!
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Skin looks a bit plasticy. I know she isn't necessarily human, but I'll assume she has blood. Try and work some red in to the skin, especially the face. Also try to bring out some wrinkles, it's hard to do on young faces, but it will help to get rid of the plastic look. It's lookin good so far though. Reminds me of certain other scantily clad elf Alyn Shir. :)

Alyn_Shir.jpg
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Its a pretty good model so far, but there are some things that stand out. Right now the biggest to me its how bulky the armor plates feel. To me they feel like they have too much weight and would feel really hard to move around in. also the knee pads dont feel very believable. If you look at real knee pads you can see that they usually have two straps that wrap around the top of the bottom leg and bottom of the thigh, or if it is one like you have then it tends to be a large strap that covers the top of the knee and bottom of the thigh. But its coming along well keep it going.
  • Ryu-Gi
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu-Gi polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the input guys.

I'm considering re-designing the character's look and re-modeling her. Even though i feel like she was already almost done it's becoming obvious to me that there's still work I need to do.
  • Jimmg
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Manly shoulders you got going there.
  • Ryu-Gi
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu-Gi polycounter lvl 6
    Jimmg wrote: »
    Manly shoulders you got going there.

What, they are? Honestly this is the most feminine shoulders I've been able to model...any helpful hints on how I can make them more feminine?
  • kez-muff
    Offline / Send Message
    kez-muff polycounter lvl 9
    Hey just looking at the elbows and I think they need a bit more work to deform nicely. Here's a really good wee bit of information on elbows http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61079
  • Ryu-Gi
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu-Gi polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, I'll be sure to re-do the joints this way.