Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] ArenaNet character art test

Hey guys and gals. I recently heard about this art test ArenaNet is doing as part of their application process for hiring new character artists. I want to try for this for two reasons 1- Really really need a job! 2- It would make a great piece to add to my portfolio.

heres the link to the info for the test.
http://www.arena.net/blog/arenanet-is-hiring-character-artists

and here is the concept I'll be working off of.

Concept.jpg

So here's a few considerations and questions I have going into this project.

The tri count is only 6'500 for the finished model, which I'm almost embarrassed to say is lower that I've ever worked with before. So I'll have to pay special attention to that and learn some solid low poly character techniques.

Trying to decide what the best way to start this project is, probably in zbrush with the high res mesh? Suggestions on low poly character workflows that are similar to this?

The proportions of the concept are very stylized, should I aim for correct or try and match the concept as closely as possible regardless of how it looks?

I'm not too concerned about the range of maps I'm allowed to use but I do want to start thinking about how to best use those maps and what style of texturing would suit this project best ie..Hand painted vs realistic.

So there's something to think about, and if anyone has any suggestions for me that'd be great. progress soon I hope!

Replies