Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UMP45 Gun

Hello guys, this is a UMP45 i just finished. C&C welcome.

ump45_02_web.jpg

ump45_01_web.jpg

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the UMP is mostly made from plastics and such, thus doesn't get the crazy white scrapes you added. the white scuffs would only be on the spec or gloss (if you had it) and would be fairly subtle. your materials look quite flat as well. plastics like this look so very cool when you execute them right.

HK-UMP.jpg

also, bright backgrounds are the devil.
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, first of all, I freakin love your assets, but on the other hand I have to agree with Racer, altough I found this ref image (which I guess, you also found):

1440_HK-UMP-01.jpg

And compared to that one, your materials doesn't look off so much anymore. Im not too sure about the flashhider (guess its called like that).

All in all a good work, cheers!
  • kronos01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the honest feedback guys. I knew there was something off with the materials/results but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. So concerned on making it look appealing that it backfired on me. Didn't help that I looked at other gun references while texturing to see how I could weather it and make it appear aged. I'm realizing that it's a tricky thing with some guns, usually this type of material has a subtle way of getting scuffed. Here's the main reference image I've been using:

1440_HK-UMP-02.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks outstanding. the only feedback i can add is very nitpicky and probably not necessary. In the reference that ROCK provided there appears to be some kind of a plastic covering the bullets within the clip. the other would be that the red painted pieces appear to be more reflective in the photograph because they have a pinkish hue to them. Again, this is all very picky and the work you have done is absolutely outstanding. Are you looking to add anymore to this?

Would also like to see the wireframe-if you have time.
  • kronos01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex Pointer: Thanks Alex, your post made me grin as I started noticing the little nuances that I missed (I'm very nitpicky too, so I know what u mean). Good eye on the clear plastic on the clip, that passed me right by. Here's the lowpoly with the normal map and wires.

I might do a few fixes mentioned above, but I'm also really motivated to work on another project.

UMP45_LowPoly.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    well now.. whats goin on with that front grip? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many polygons there. 8k tris is pretty decent for this though.. especially since youve got attachments and that strap (imagine that takes up a bit).. however.. you still should focus on where triangles are needed and where they are not. the front-facing part of the grip will rarely ever be seen, and using that many tris is essentially just a waste. better off putting them somewhere else closer the camera for a fpv... or if its intended for 3pv.. then in general 8k is a bit much.

so just think of where the gun is going to be seen the most, and put a good portion of your tris there. aside from that.. its lookin good.
  • kronos01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: Nice man, thanks for the feedback. I wanted to preserve the curvature of the grip digits but I could definitely bring it down in there. I'm digging your environments and gun models on your site, very nice.