Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-47

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys, i was working on this AK-47 as a portfolio piece. Please comment and let me know what you think. Thanks.

The weapon:

Render-1.jpg

Some Textures:

Textures.jpg

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for a portfolio piece I think you may have gone for too many angles and not enough detail shots, can u upload a higher res image and zoom in on detail?

at 10k this would a POV model right? Definitely need more close ups and even a POV snapshot.

its looking good though (from a distance ;) )
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @James: You are welcome :)

@Ravanna: Thanks for the comment, this Model is made for a game that i am working on atm. What angles would you like to see? And out of my noobness what is POV? Thanks :)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Point Of View. So how you would see it in a FPS game with the gun coming right out of your chin :p
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, here are some close up shots.

POV1.jpg

POV2.jpg

POV3.jpg

POV4.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the quick posts :)
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any comments guys? please let me know what you think :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice overall, it needs more contrast in the specular though. Also, the wood looks rather flat, it could use some extra spec/gloss and possibly more saturation.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I have to agree with gilesruscoe, try to play around with the values, also try to make specular more blueish/ grayish maybe even closer to whites it might help it. just dont over work it
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would put a lot more detail on the stock of the gun, if it will be closer to the camera. From a distance it reads well though. Usually in-game they have 2 different models - one that the player carries, and one that other players see. This would lean toward the latter category, as it is right now

Keep it up,
    G
  • Blur.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should try using a gloss map although, since it's marmoset, it's not so good at supporting those.

I also know why your specular is so dark. Marmoset makes it go 'omg chrome' if you make it too bright. I just mess with the gloss thing in the material tab.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    it seems as if the scratches dont really serve any purpose. they're all sort of just randomly painted onto the surface in formations that wouldn't really ever occur. give a bit more attention to how the surface is being damaged rather than loosely placing paint strokes.

for the rest of it, yeah like blur said, you really could benefit from a gloss map, and more contrast in your specular. it appears to be also that the uvs are uniform, which im wondering was this intended to be a fpv model? the area in particular that shouts out to me as not having enough textel density is the very front of the stock. the metal strip seems super low res and thats an area id imagine you would want to have clear detail (wood grain n such included).
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should try using a gloss map although, since it's marmoset, it's not so good at supporting those.

Sounds like marmoset isn't worth using then. Gloss is a pretty basic requirement.

or you could screengrab it in maya or 3dsmax, using a directx shader.
    Or if you must, render it properly with scanline/mental ray.

Chicky Dip, paint your scratches, (or blend photos) to a seperate layer.
    Once they look good, dull the scratches in the diffuse, ie turn down opacity level.

The Specular is usually a duplicate of the diffuse, but with emphasis on materials. Here the scratches would be at their brightest. Even with a bit of colour noise.

The gloss level of metal is generally low, maybe 15-25%.
    Painted metal would have slightly more gloss.
    The model seems fine, just jazz up the realism of the texture.

In POV view, its clear u need to sharpen up the wood.
    Its tricky to get a balance of all-round equal UV space whilst making sure it looks best in POV mode.

Good luck. :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Blur. wrote: »

I also know why your specular is so dark. Marmoset makes it go 'omg chrome' if you make it too bright. I just mess with the gloss thing in the material tab.

Marmoset supports gloss maps verry well :p.The reason it goes omg chrome is because it reflects the enviroment map and the bluriness of the reflection depends on the gloss map value so the bigger the gloss value the less blur in the reflection and viceversa.Let's not forget that it also has a fresnel value for reflections to avoid diffuse specular like metal and make it more plastic.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Marmoset also uses reversed values for gloss (or atleast it does for my install) where white = 0 and black = 1. ie, white is flat and black is glossy. That my be the reason you think it doesn't support them, i though that for a while too.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    what? No lense flare?