Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sword moves animation

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys
i am polishing some animations that i did on the animation mentor´s course. I got used to this animation and cant see thing to correct/polish

if someone could help with critiques i will be very glad
http://youtu.be/vko0kP29qss

thanks

----
edited

final versions
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJd48O5q6A&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJd48O5q6A&feature=relmfu[/ame]

sword.jpg

Replies

• St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    im not an animator, but i like it.
  • GKWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy good work face!

I can't really see anything majorly wrong with it! But i'm a student, so that makes me an idiot XD

I think the whole thing would look really cool however, if you changed the style somewhat and made all the movements really quick and snappy :). Think something like in this Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLO1YIWQuXE"]bruce lee vs. chuck norris - YouTube[/ame]

That clip is quite exaggerated, but animators love our exaggeration XD. You've got a very realistic thing going for yours, which is epic! Nothing wrong with it :) Much better then I could do :D. I reckon it would just suit your character and look cooler if you got that snap to it :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis wrote: »

thanks st4alis
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GKWill wrote: »
    Holy good work face!

I can't really see anything majorly wrong with it! But i'm a student, so that makes me an idiot XD

I think the whole thing would look really cool however, if you changed the style somewhat and made all the movements really quick and snappy :). Think something like in this Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris video:
    bruce lee vs. chuck norris - YouTube

That clip is quite exaggerated, but animators love our exaggeration XD. You've got a very realistic thing going for yours, which is epic! Nothing wrong with it :) Much better then I could do :D. I reckon it would just suit your character and look cooler if you got that snap to it :)

wow, that camera moves are insane, loved the POV of chuck norris
    and you are right about the snappy movements, i think i need to enhance that better, thanks for the suggestion
    and why your youtube got embed and not mine? iwill try with the longer link
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis wrote: »
    This^

I think the ending could end more dramatically. Cooler pose. Like on one knee, a fist on the ground with the sword in one hand pointing behind him. Just my two cents ;)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the .mov file is someone wants to check that frame by frame... better then on youtube
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngq5s5kmlqhmifb/blast12.mov
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This looks great! Here are some crits.

fr16 - the neck feels broken because the head is still looking straight. It's ok to let the head follow the body and lose eye contact a bit.

frame 18 - I think you need a better pose. move screen left more, lift that back leg up and really show the force that is about to be put into the next move

frame 21 - 22 = the arms go through each other

frame 24 - cahracters left arm feels broken with the elbow in his face like that

frame 30 - put more weight on his left leg, and lift up the right leg. Really follow through. It will add to the antic for the next move because you`ll have to step back into the next one swipe

frame 43 - broken hips! his body is facing 1 way, and his legs another.

frame 46ish - he needs more force pushing him up like that. Let that screen right leg drag a bit more. There's no way he could lift his body from that angle with just the screen left leg.

54 - head rotation is wrong. its lean to screen left, should lean to screen right. It will give a better antic and draw a really nice line of action through the spine and into the head

57 - he's got his foot up his ass

105- nice pose! :)

From this point on, it feels really slow and floaty

125 - his left knee needs to be brought inwards more to screen left. leg feels a little broken. Also drag that foot back a little. He pushes off then brings it up right away. a little drag could help.

135 - his hips need to rotate more to be centered between the legs. current rotate makes his right leg feel dislocated.

172 - Broken legs. right knee faces left, left knee faces right

178 - Let the arms drag back a bit to really feel the weight. They arms are moving with the body right now. Throw the body into it and let the arms follow after.

and at the end, give him some settle! it ends mid pose. have him step into that last one and then bring his back foot forward and come to a stop. Dont put all this effort into something and then have it seem unfinished!

This has potential to be a wonderful piece. Go in and really touch it up. I don't mean to sound harsh with the crits. I just see potential. I want to see it polished! Great start though! It really is! I'm just being picky, going frame by frame
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound harsh with the crits. I just see potential. I want to see it polished! Great start though! It really is! I'm just being picky, going frame by frame

Slipsius, that was GREAT!
    i agree with every single detail that you wrote

im really glad that you spent you time checking frame by frame and then writing all those details, you helped a lot!

it was far way more then i was expecting

yay! huge thanks, it was awesome =]
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    i'm not an animator, so it looks good to me. What have you been using for reference? This type of sword play reminds me of Wushu, have a look at some wushu broadsword videos if you haven't. There tends to be some very deep stances which can relate to strong poses for animating I imagine, as well as explosive/snappy moves.
  • Tvidotto
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

i reworked a lot the animations and tested a rendered version

feel free to criticize everything =]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/konz0pxxu1cs8ft/sword%2001.mp4

that is how the render is going
    sword.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Waay better dude. way better. I would say move on and start something new.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Waay better dude. way better. I would say move on and start something new.

Yay, thanks Slipsius
  • Tvidotto
  • GKWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great! turned out amazing :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GKWill wrote: »
    That's great! turned out amazing :D

Thanks a lot =]
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Flawless victory.

I enjoy how nothing is too fast it's all smooth, silky and deliberate looking.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Flawless victory.

I enjoy how nothing is too fast it's all smooth, silky and deliberate looking.

Hey Pancakes

i really appreciated that, makes me anxious to start a new one
    thanks a lot =]
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work :D My only crit is the actual follow-through at the end swing, you'd think the vid would go on for at least 1-2 seconds more so you can actually see the whole follow-through there, get the viewer a chance to settle or the animation to settle properly before ending.

But either way, great work!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work :D My only crit is the actual follow-through at the end swing, you'd think the vid would go on for at least 1-2 seconds more so you can actually see the whole follow-through there, get the viewer a chance to settle or the animation to settle properly before ending.

But either way, great work!

yeah, some people complained about that too

Thanks for the feedback Chris