Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Defenders Of Furite (Game, WIP)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
A few buddies and I have been working on a Defense of The Ancients / League Of Legends type game for the PC using the Unreal Dev Kit. We're interested in any feedback you guys could give us, since we're all fesh out of school/in school and have no industry experience. Any feedback is welcome.

Some Renders of the environment

war.jpg

shotscreen.jpg

Rocks3.jpg

Rocks1.jpg

epi_map1.jpg

cracktext1.jpg

CenterAlter1.jpg

Some renders of individual objects.

Turret01.jpg

SpawnPlatform02.jpg

SpawnPlatform01.jpg

BunkerRender.jpg

Base01.jpg

Altar.jpg

TorchWithTexture02.jpg

Note: The following bunker is old. I've updated the model's geometry and need to redo the texture. The up to date model was posted above.

Bunker02.jpg

Bunker01.jpg

Replies

• Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump. This is the base for one of the two teams, most of these assets still need to have textures made for them.

shot.png

The three HQ structures:

Main-Structure.jpg

Tower.jpg

Entrance.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, the individual assets by themselves are great! I especially love the canyon bunker thing (the one that is inside that canyon wall and pops out the top); that thing has such nice contrast and style and character to it; it's awesome

However, the in game screen shots just become a noisy mess. The lighting needs a lot of work, it just makes everything look icky.

my biggest issue, I think, is the fact that not only is the terrain painted in a completely different style as your assets, but it's not even on the same pixel ratio as your buildings, which REALLY causes an ugly contrast between the environment and the assets. You either need to lower the size of your asset textures to match the scale of your terrain (i hate this option), or redo your terrain texture to match the awesome style you have going on. Take that flare and character that you've created in the assets and apply it to the environment, as well as work on the lighting

Just to throw out there, one reason your rendered assets look amazing is because they are unlit

if you do both of those, I think you'll have a solid looking product.

Also I realize this is all WIP
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only just recently started to do the whole handpainted texture thing you see on some of those assets. To me they still look like crap. I'm glad somebody likes them though :P

The ground textures has been there for some time and I'm thinking about redoing them soon.

I completely agree that the lighting needs to be worked on. We all got together last night to look at the most recent build of the game, and that's the one thing that kept popping out at me.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no worries man just keep working at it! Paint some shading in there maybe too

check out 3Dmotive.com for an AMAZING hand-painting tutorial...it's what got me into it and I love it. You do have to subscribe, but the website is awesome
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree with what Three9 said. Assets - great. Terrain and lighting - not so much. That green gooey substance on the first screenshots looks pretty poor. One thing that keeps bothering me with the screenshots is the really poor texture blending. You know, where different textures meet. Right now some parts look very obviously blended in. There are semi-transparent rocks and such, as well as really rough borders with textures. I'm not an expert on UE3 and I don't even know at which stage of the workflow such things are fixed, but all of those irregularities can be hidden using alpha masks in UE3, I think. Also, place your textures more carefully based on terrain height (there should be a tool in UE3 allowing to automatically place different textures based on height, for example cliffs on the higher parts and sand on the shallow parts). You probably know most of that already, but just in case. Anyway, great work, somehow reminded me of WH40k: DoW. Keep it up!
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the green goo reminds me of Tiberian Sun (I mean I GUESS the C&C series in general, but c'mon, Tiberian Sun is the best!)
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, sure does look a lot like tiberium veins
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That green stuff is Furite. It's pretty funny you guys mention the tiberium thing.

One of the other guys in the group, the one who came up with all the backstory and stuff, is explaining what furite is:

Buddy: Furite is a green crystaline mineral that is highly corrosive, leaches into the enviroment and mutates all living matter it touches. it's also a potent power source.
    Me: So it's kind of like tiberium, huh?
    Buddy: What's tiberium?
    Me: 1283660170079.jpg
    Me: You've never played the Command and Conquer games?
    Buddy: Well see, it's different than whatever was in that series. Furite crashed into the planet on an asteroid.
    Me: I'm sorry, I was incorrect just now, this sounds EXACTLY like tiberium.

So if anyone here works for EA, please don't sue us.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, Some modular pipe bits:

Pipe_Diffuse_Test.jpg

WIP_Pipe.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message