Home Unreal Engine

how to relink assets in a map to new packages?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
aphexx polycounter lvl 12
hi all!
finally i managed to organize/move all my assets into a good and brandnew package order. all with new names of the packages.
the thing is that all the assets in my maps are now linked to other packages.
so nothing is found and the maps are empty on load.
do you know how i would relink the assets to the new packages?

Replies

• PointlessReboot
    There is no way to fix these references if you did not keep both packages (OLD and NEW).

The correct way to reorganise assets, would be to move them to a new package as you said you did. The thing to remember here is that any references you already had will be pointing to the old packages. The old packages, while looking empty actually contain redirectors, these are hidden objects that redirect a reference to its new location.

So it is important to keep both packages around for a while.

Now to get rid of the (empty packages) and fix up any references to the old packages, you need to run a commandlet called FixupRedirects, this will remove all redirects that it can (needs to be able to write both packages to fix).

https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CommandletList#FixupRedirects

Now what you can also do with this commandlet, is have it remove unneeded packages, by moving a package to __Trashcan under content. What this will do is delete the package if no other packages are referencing anything in it.

Hope that helps.
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thank you very much, that is some very valuable information! i will try it right now. the old packages are still in my trash bin, so i can resurrect them. thx again!
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just used the commandlet and it worked like a charm. also the __Trashcan folder. that was a frikkin protip man! thx!
  • PointlessReboot
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Just my lucky day :D, been updating my map and need to make clean new package list from previous ones. I hope it works for me too lol.