Home Technical Talk

Best way to model Offroad RC track for Mobile?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a mobile game of Radio controlled off road buggy racing.

I'm wondering how what the best way to model the tracks are. The tracks look like this:

349906d1215141376-rc-connections-glenmarie-onroad-offroad-drift-crawlers-track-dsc00540.jpg

I've had a play around with Lofting in 3DS Max but I'm wondering if there's a better workflow.

Any suggestions for this would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• derkoi
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, loft is the usual method. Watch the placement of shapes along the spline of your track, you don't want your polys getting tight on the inside of the corners, or so big on the outside that the stepping becomes obvious.

Normalize your spline before lofting so that you have a regular distribution of steps along the track. Always easier to take loops out on straights that you don't need, than to add them into the corners to smooth.
  • derkoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend building the tracks in sections for reuse? I'm a bit concerned about textures not lining up.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At our studio we model sections of the track first and then make sure they tile.
    Like say you make a 512 units straight part, one 512 45degree bend part and then snap them together.

Bend modyfiers work wonders with this if you are using max.

A tip would be to make the texture at this step so you can make sure they tile properly.
  • derkoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    At our studio we model sections of the track first and then make sure they tile.
    Like say you make a 512 units straight part, one 512 45degree bend part and then snap them together.

Bend modyfiers work wonders with this if you are using max.

A tip would be to make the texture at this step so you can make sure they tile properly.

Thanks. Makes sense. :thumbup:
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, Visceral, the section approach would work too for a track like this which is mainly straights an 90 degree turns. Work it like a Scalectrix track.