Home General Discussion

Dealing with feedback.

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't the guy in question, aside from being a dick, get some pretty abusive, toxic, useless feedback in his thread by polycounters too?

If i remember correctly (and i'm not confident I do) for every good piece of advice he got there were 2 bullshit image macro posts or pile ons by people who should shut up and draw. I'm not really surprised, with the kind of social difficulty he seemed to have on the internet, that he ended up lashing out and attacking everyone. He got bullied.

Or was this a different thread?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    On the topic of feedback, I find it rather sad that people such as our nefarious spammer got pages upon pages of "critique", whereas middling modelers get very little and better modelers get nothing more than praise. For all the lauding Adam does of Polycount's harsh nature, 90% of its criticism is telling beginners that they need to learn anatomy. Which is true, but also obvious and applicable to every character artist all the time.

Quick example, Bogdan's Diablo III barbarian. 5 Pages, and only almighty_gir, Moof and myself wrote up any substantial criticism. Polycount isn't as harsh as people make it out to be; get to a certain level of skill and it's indistinguishable from DeviantArt.

I remember back in the first DomWar that Gauss posted in my thread and told me that a backpack with robot arms was a stupid and clich
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't the guy in question, aside from being a dick, get some pretty abusive, toxic, useless feedback in his thread by polycounters too?

If i remember correctly (and i'm not confident I do) for every good piece of advice he got there were 2 bullshit image macro posts or pile ons by people who should shut up and draw. I'm not really surprised, with the kind of social difficulty he seemed to have on the internet, that he ended up lashing out and attacking everyone. He got bullied.

Or was this a different thread?

I like to think of it like this, its like being a movie star...you get to a certain point, you can make something thats partically vulgar but if its done well enough and are famous enough people will suck it down and praise you like your gods gift...and the only people who will critic on your performance are other actors....

I very much so look at the senior artists who post on here or the super talent like that...I know there good guys I know there talented.. they dont need me to add another page of ass grabing to there thread, They know there bad ass or I will tell them face to face. But I agree real critics get lost in a sea of people on both extremes. The really talented or the really noobie.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    On the topic of feedback, I find it rather sad that people such as our nefarious spammer got pages upon pages of "critique", whereas middling modelers get very little and better modelers get nothing more than praise.

Indeed.

PiH5o.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure polycount, for at least the last 5 years, has ever really had much conceptual/artistic critique -- usually it's purely technical discussion here, and in that case middling and expert artists don't really need much advice. The only thematic/design/conceptual crits i see are vapid hate on anime and arguments over sexism.

But ++, i would love to hear more conceptual discussion and critiques around here!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Have to say I'm really surprised at some of the posts here. Adam has never displayed the traits of some things he's accused of being or doing in this thread, not in all the years he's been busting his ass for Polycount. Adam has always come across as being very fair, level headed and impartial. This thread was supposed to do two things IMO. To call this person to the table and try to get him to act like an adult, which I think is futile but whatever. And secondly to highlight the issue of being able to take constructive criticism, which this guy is famous for not being able to take, even resorting to personal threats, in his third level education, CGTalk, DeviantArt, Polycount and god knows where else. He has spammed this site repeatedly over the last few days, creating unnecessary work for mods, and Adam actually thinks to reach out, which still blows my mind, and people criticize him for that?

I'm very confused. And kinda saddened that this waste of space has people calling out the guy who has kept this place together for so long (not alone, I know). He's won, you know, our banned fellow. He's laughing his ass off reading this thread right now.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    I agreed and consider the matter closed.

have a good evening.
This discussion has been closed.