Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Metro2033 inspired Scene for my portfolio / advice needed

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
Hey dear Polycounters!
As the title says, i made this scene inspired by Metro2033 for my portfolio.
My intention was not to make a clone witht he same art and so on, but to take the idea of a postapocalyptic metro station ;)
Well, right now i'm coming to the end (putting everything in the engine, setting the lights...) and i could really use some help.
Since this is my first interior scene ever in CryEngine 3, i have some problems to get the right mood in there.

So, what do you think till now? Maybe it's too dark to see my art?
I hope you can give me some advice/critique on my scene ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Zxhbx.jpg
nFLjo.jpg
uLzYN.jpg
deYyS.jpg
ejl8z.jpg

Cheers!

Edit:
Can anyone tell me how to add some dust particles to the scene? I did a lot of research but couldn't find anything about it...
Thanks again in advance! ^^

Replies

• Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Dont know about Cryengine but in UDK to add dust particles I would make a Particticle system and just scale it to a larger size. Dont know how much this would help you in cryengine though. I really do like it though!
  • Demogorgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demogorgon polycounter lvl 4
    For particles... Just go into the database editor and look through the particle list or make your own.

http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Particle+Editor
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comments!
    Gonna have a look at making my own system (already searched the particles in database).
  • ZenDavis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great. However what I think made Metro 2033's scenes so memorable was how they played with darkness. The fact that we can see to the end of your map takes away from the intimidation factor of your level. I would probably suggest adding some negative lights in the far off distance to give your level a greater feeling of tension. By allowing the viewer to see everything in the scene all the way to the hallway's end, you take that sense of uncertainty away from them.

metro.jpg

1307927-metro2033_2010_03_20_22_28_10_03.jpg

In both of these examples, the level designers have only allowed players to see what they want them to see. In the first image, everything past the tower guard is shrouded in darkness. This informs the player that although they cannot see into the darkness, there is obviously something in the shadows that these people need protection from.

The second image plays will lights in another way. You don't know where this light is coming from. Just that it's bright outside. Even so, the room is still filled with dark corners that prevents players from feeling safe. What if something is hiding in this corner? Did I see something move in that corner?
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything is looking really good so far. Are you looking to add anymore to the scene other than particles? A walkthrough would be really cool too-it always adds to scenes when you render a walkthrough (in my opinion).
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks vor all the kind words!
    I'm not planning on adding anymore stuff to the scene. It will just be a rendering wo walkthrough.

@zendavis: thanks for the advice! Defenitely gonna change this tomorrow ;)
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, I look forward to seeing the walkthrough.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work on this man :) Can't wait for a breakdown!
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    The only thing you are really missing is some decals. Your walls look too plain and need some decal cracks or some kind of other wear an tear. For instance in your last picture in the first post, I don't notice any tiling, but its just repetitive because your left/top/right walls all look the same. For instance look at your white tiles you have 2 or 3 chipped/missing/broken ones to break up that white tile texture, but the base concrete has nothing like that and your eye just notices a bunch of the same thing.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the nice feedback and advices!

So here is the final scene (added some decals and changed the lighting a bit).
    You can also see the used geometry and textures ;)

The whole scene's polycount is about 170k tris (a bit heavy, i know ^^)

Let me know what you think!

Kue9b.jpg
    OPaXf.jpg
    v7K7f.jpg
    g6ofJ.jpg
    vBObD.jpg
    IleMk.jpg
    Xt81C.jpg
    pAbDP.jpg
    l9kR1.jpg
  • modern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modern polycounter lvl 17
    Looks nice. I dont like your floor texture, the concrete slabs with black out lines creates a grid. I think you would be better off without the black grid lines. I like the images where you start to develope a diorama like the cafe/bar.
  • polyly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CryEngine3 has point light shafts. Use it! :D