Home Unreal Engine

Cubemaps on Dynamic objects

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
In UDK I have a chromed vehicle that I need to drive around an environment, indoors, outdoors the like. I know HOW to hook up a material so it uses A cubemap I need some advice though.

a) Is it wise to attach a cubemap to the car actor and update that cubemap's picture every so often?

b) Should I instead have cubemaps placed around the map and switch between them dynamically & how DO I do that? Programatically? (In the Source engine this can be done automatically for you)

c) Instead should I only use a single over-arching 'environment' cubemap and live with it? This causes lots of lighting problems like indoors/outdoors, how did you solve them?

d) There's some tricks to using DX11 reflections I've missed that allow me to have a dynamic shadowed car use thoose reflections without casting a shadow on it's own reflections rendering them uselss.

e) I've missed something and your going to tell me how wrong I am.

Any help would be appreciated , my google fu for answers is getting lost among all the YouTubes of how to make a cubemap instead of what I want to know.

Replies