Home Technical Talk

different tiling for different maps?

Hey there,

just a quick question. Is it possible to tile a bump or specular map differently than the diffuse channel? Every channel has a parameter to change the U and the V tiling, but they seem to follow the one I choose for the diffuse. Is there some setting I am missing?
In most cases it makes sense that all your channels follow the diffuse, but I'm just trying out something different :)

thanks in advance for all help

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    It absolutely depends on how you are presenting the work - is it in engine, in 3d app viewport, etc.

More info pls.

It is quite possible to have entirely different UV cordinates for every texture sample you make in HLSL, I can tell you that much. :)
  • wimmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi cw,

I was talking specifically for inside the cryengine 3 sandbox editor. I know you can use different UV maps in modeling apps (using blender). I was told cryengine doesn't support different UV layouts (this is correct?).

I'm using only one layout in this case. You can use a different tiling for the same UV when you use a detail map or a blend layer, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a spec or normal map. There are even those parameters to adjust it, but they just don't seem to work. Maybe there is some checkbox I'm not seeing...

best
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    hmm I will take a look tomorrow - I somehow missed the cryengine-ness of the request - I blame the beers! :D
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    No it's not possible. For some reason coordinates are locked.
  • wimmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Pity, and a bit odd that they locked it for those params while keeping it open for the blend and detail slots... Plus also the fact that there a params to change it but they don't react. Oh well, still a great engine :)

thanks for the input
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    if you want to offset your normal map, you can use the detail map slot. The detail slot has its own offset and scale parameters. You just need to tick detail normals in the parameters checklist.

specular cant be offset or scaled, its always the same as diffuse