Home Technical Talk

Yet Another Strange Max issue

Ok, Ive had my share of Max weirdness in the past 5 years, but this one is totally new to me... Hopefully somebody else knows a workaround for it... I have a model Im working on here at work - its a hotel, very simple model, and only 2 image maps so far.

My problem is that for some reason I can work on the scene without issue in wireframe, but as soon as I switch to shaded mode, max crashes. Ive tried it on several computers, all with the same result. Ive tried merging into a new scene, removing all textures, collapsing geometry, removing the maps... everything I have been able to think of so far. The scene still renders fine, but this could put a huge crimp in my workflow if I cant get this model to display in shaded mode. Id appreciate any insight from anybody who has had similar problems.

-Nick

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    - what max version ?
    - do you use any odd scripts by others

other suggestions:
    1.) export as obj (or any other raw xyz & uvw format) and import it in a clean new scene
    2.) change display driver (e.g software rendering)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, I would say export as OBJ and reimport. Might just be that the max file is fucked and is causing those issues. I've had problems somewhat like that before.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ renderhjs-

Im stuck using Max 8.0 here at work (because my boss feels 2 Mercedes a BMW and an Audi are a better investment than new software). I dont use any scripts other than an updated Lightlister, but Ive been using that for years and this is a new issue - Tried the display driver too - the only difference is Maxstreme crashes instantly while DirectX thinks for a couple minuites before crashing...

@ mLichy - I suspect the scene might just be fucked indeed. Since you both thought of going thru obj Ill give that a shot also. I have 5 more buildings to finish before I need to texture that one.. Hopefully I can figure it out by then

Thanks for your help guys!

-N